+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cree

Default Cree

Anyone know where I can find a true Cree Cape? I am not looking for a variant or a something that is almost cree, I am looking for the real deal. I do not think Whiting or Metz offers Cree. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Whiting does off a real cree as does Conranch

I deal with Conranch myself...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Conranch would be my first choice
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Whiting and Metz do have true Cree which is a cross of a Coachman Brown with a Grizzly. The yield of Cree is about 10%. I have both Whiting and Metz Cree.

They are almost impossible to get unless you know a shop owner. Whiting used to keep a waiting list for retail customers that wanted Cree but no longer do.

This is Metz Cree from about 15 years ago;

This is a Whiting Cree from 5 years ago. It may look as if it is not cree but it actually is better than the Metz. The brown barring is much deeper in color and the white is whiter.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Bought a Metz #2 cree from Jack Dennis' shop about 15 years ago. Used a few feathers off of it but wasn't too impressed with the quality. Got another cree from Charlie Collins a few years back and what a difference; great hackle, nicely marked and the 10 Line was pretty far up the cape; a real pleasure to tie with. Unfortunately, it looks like he doesn't carry cree any more. Oh well, there's lots of good grizzly and brown hackle out there.

Regards,
    Scott

As has been said on here previously, Denny Conrad, ConRanch Hackle is the best. All cree is not equal nor really cree, see the article here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/cree.php

Thanks everyone. I am going to look into Collins and conranch and see if I can get a cape from them. I believe Conranch only sells Cred in full skins, can anybody verify this?

The real honest to goodness Cree you have to get over in Europe (Spain). Conranch seems to be the only outlet for the American version of Cree. I have tried many times to drill my friend Tom Mullen who works at Whiting Farms, asking him about any Cree Capes, and if they did have any at all, they are sitting on the stuff. I will ask some of my friends across the pond. The Spanish Cree which is the true stuff is a very interesting Chicken (lays Black Eggs). Very beautiful feathers. The guy who used to run FlyTyingworld.com web site at one time was wanting to get a hold of some of those eggs to raise the True Cree Bird. I don't think he ever did. I did mention the idea to Tom Mullen, figuring he might pass the idea to Dr. Whiting .

I stood in a flyshop pondering a Metz#1 Cree neck in 1993....and I STILL regret not buying it. But at the time it would have been bought with grocery money.

I have a Ginger Variant that is a Cree...only one I have found since. It was like Xmas in June and of all places it was in a Cabelas...mixed in with a box of about 15 that was still sitting on the floor to be hung up. I was poking through the box and the clerk came over just as I spotted it. He ws going to tell me I coudn't look through that box. LOL He looked at it and seemed to want to tell me to put it back. Then when paying for it he admitted he would have taken it and bought it had I not seen it first. It's a lesser grade...but it's a Cree.

Would love to have one of Denny's skins....maybe soon. I do have one of his Cree JV hen skins.....great hackle.

The other breeders DO get them....but like has been stated, they rarely if ever see the open market.

+ Reply to Thread