Thread: question for the pro's

Threaded View

Al and Gretchen Beatty have given the best advise as to Fly Tying business (not easy). Start off with your local Fly Shops and individuals who Fly fish (I did this as a kid, and in college I had Professors who were Fly Fishermen that said my paterns were great and I should sell them; they were my best customers)). You can use the internet (there is a site online that will help you connect with people as to selling your Fly patterns). Be knowledgable about your local waters, and even waters in other areas. There are many great patterns out there (but all they do is catch Fishermen and women; my wife likes hot pink patterns), but it always ends up to the final,. "The Proof Is On The Water". Will your patterns catch fish in the most difficult conditions ? The real crap shoot is sending samples to outlets like Orvis, Umpqua, Rainys, Feathercraft, Cabellas, Bass Pro White River, Gander Mouintain, etc. I am a Signature Designer for both Rainys and Feathercraft as well as I sell my Flies online, and to area shops and individuals. One local shop before it closed down carried all my patterns (and another tyer) exclusively. The patterns were Go-to patterns. When I camp and go to places like the Arizona White Mountains, I take boxes of my patterns (along with my Tying materials and tools) with me along with business cards (I have had boats, and other Float Tubers come up to my Float Tube while I am fishing wanting to buy what I am catching fish on. Rainys/Feathecraft have a yearly competition of tyers around the world. If your Pattern wins, it goes into production (a great way to get your foot in the door). Get your patterns to some guides (if they work great, word of mouth spreads).
    Not always easy still. I have had Orvis sitting on a lot of my Patterns for a few years, and still not one has shown up in their catalogue (even though I was told that my patterns belong in an Orvis Catalogue) If I had waited for Orvis, I would not have anything in any catalogue). People like Al and Gretchen also sell tying materials. I very much depend on the internet, to help with my marketing. Doing Demos around the world is helpful (I have had a lot of invites... the only trouble is the money for travel comes out of your pocket). I have gotten my patterns into books and magazines......Market.....Market....Market. My friend Rick Takahashi said it best, you are not going to make a lot of money on this venture starting out, and it is going to be hard. I know one thing for certain. Where I am now has taken many years. At 55, I am the next generation Charlie Meck, Lefty Kreh, Bob Poovich (etc.). I now really have to step up to the plate since I am at that next level. The pressure is on. Always stay up to date with cutting edge techniques and tying materials. Always be grateful to those who mentored you and took you under their wing along the way.
    Last edited by MR.JML; 05-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.