Thread: can anyone help with deer hair flies?

Threaded View

Cool

Thread: Kevlar 6/0 (I would even go down to 8/0 without thread snap and if you are doing Multi Color)
    Deer Hair: Coastal

I agree with Alan as to laying a thread support down first. Besides Deer Hair that you can use for the spun clipped body; if you want to experiment, you can use Squirrel Tail for the Tail and Claws (just a thought). As to using Coastal Deer Hair, it is a finer Hair that Spins and packs tighter. If you are also keeping with all Deer Hair and using for the Claws and Tail, you will find this to have better action in the water. This looks like a very interesting pattern (a Crawdad ?). I was mentored as a little kid by a legend named Hank Roberts. One thing I learned about Deer Hair Patterns is that the fish love that soft bite and they will bite down and hold instead of spitting out (it is like a chew toy for them). The great thing about using Coastal Deer Hair is you can tie multi colored patterns where it becomes a real bitch to do if you are using Deer Belly or straight Deer Body Hair. If you are using Hair from a Deer you shot, consider the time of year that you harvested that Deer, whether it was Bow shot or Rifle Shot (even Black Powder), and Deer type (Muley, White Tail, Black Tail, Cous) and sex (Buck or Doe). All these factors play into the Deer Hair and spinning quality.
    Last edited by MR.JML; 05-27-2012 at 11:56 AM.