+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can anyone help with deer hair flies?

Default can anyone help with deer hair flies?

hey guys,
    i have a bit of an issue, i have spun deer hair successfully before, but i always had a "tail" of some sorts....

i may have bit off a little more than i can chew here...
    i replicate flies for people to the best of my abilities, most of u know what i can and cant do by my other posts.

i got asked to replicate this:
    DSCN1599.jpgDSCN1600.jpgDSCN1601.jpgDSCN1602.jpg

it apparently works well, he has had it for some time, and it is pretty chewed up.

my problem is i dont know how to start hair on a plain hook, i usually have a material bump to help, on top of that i cant get my thread to stop snapping... i will stack the top and bottom for the first set, but as soon as i try and spin the next section it wont spin and snaps the thread.....

also, i cant figure out how to get the deer tail into the body.
    i can spin deer hail better than stack it... or so i thought...

this is on a size 2 hook, the (i assume to be deer tail) "legs" are about 1 3/4 inch long.... help please!!!

sincerely,
    spoof

PS- i need 6, im charging 5$ a piece, if anyone would like to spin a couple for me, ill gladly give you 5$ a piece, pm me if u are interested.
    Last edited by spoof85; 05-26-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

NewTyer 1 Guest

What is it suppose to resemble? It looks like a muppet

i have no idea, i assume a leopard frog, but it has spots on its back... it has a yellow belly also....

For flies like a Goddard Caddis, I start the thread back above the hook point add a drop of Crazy Glue and after it sets, start spinning the hair. What kind of thread are you using?

Regards,
    Scott

i dont know if u will remember the thread waaaaay back, i think u were responding to it, machine embroidery thread... i it seems i only am having a problem spinning the hair back by the barb.... i can only assume i am hitting it.... i just spun up a tight little "ball" using spinning and stacking, came out fine, i cant figure out how to attach the legs.... thankfully i dont have a time frame on these... lol

PS i think u posted a Goddard Caddis once.. if i remember correctly, your flies are always excellent though lol

when i try to add the legs, they want to flare, i tried wrapping them like a post, (or the wings on a quill gordon) and it flares the hare out from the base. and trust me, i have a lot of hair stacked... \

these are looser, also my first ones. the "tug-boat," was my second ever, i made a nice popper but it got sold, the one with the tail was a mistake, and the one with nothing i just made now.
    DSCN1603.jpg

all of these are made with that thread, and the same piece of deer hair.

spoof,

I remember the thread thread. Do yourself a favor and get a spool of Flymaster Plus or Flat-waxed nylon (not a big fan of kevlar and gsp thread can be a bit pricey); it will make tying bass bugs a lot easier and it's not as prone to parting ways with the hook if it comes in contact with the point. Don't think I've ever posted a pic of a Goddard; I need to be on my A game to deal with them and most of the ones I tie look pre-chewed (fish don't seem to mind though).

Regards,
    Scott

i will have to get some, however i am broke, and i dont get paid til next friday, story of my life lol.... any suggestions on tying the legs in? as for the goddard.... i may be mistaken

NewTyer 1 Guest

Can you cut the legs to length, find the middle and wrap them off the hook. Then lay them on the hook and tie in. Probly not the correct way but, it might work.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Spoof, I remember when you first got into tying. It wasn't all that long ago. I am amazed at the flies you tie. Good work

+ Reply to Thread