+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "Natural" fly rod

Blog Entries

I always found that the Gatti rod that Jim Castwell took to the fish-ins to be a great rod in my hand. I have a Sage that I love but it just doesn't feel as right as that Gatti did.
    I only ever felt that way about one other rod and that was a Winston that I had the privilege to cast at the Idaho fish in. Loved it , just couldn't afford it.

I Never had the courage to try REE's Channer. Even if she did try to throw the tip of it away in the River
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I can say that there haven't been many rods that I've disliked. Then again I'm not that good of a caster, not too picky and less concerned with 'names' then a lot of fly fishers. I feel that if I can cast a rod reasonably well and be comfortable that's all good. Back in 2002(?) this site hosted, or maybe orchastrated is a better description, a Fish-In at the Del. River Club. There was an accuracy casting event that I got talked into entering. I had to borrow a rod from one of the other guys. I didn't particularly like the rod although quite a few people were praising the brand as excellent and it cast well enough.
    Oh, I should say that the one rod I truly hated was provided by the host, J.C. who was doing a demonstration with it. Funny little rod - only about 5 feet and probably a 25 weight. Yeah, it was a broomstick - literally! He took a broomstick and taped on a couple of eyes, added a tip top, and taped a reel to the bottom. Not sure about the weight of the fly line on the reel. At least J.C. and a few others could cast it. But me? No way. That was torture.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 06-07-2012 at 12:26 AM.

I have a Broom stick fly rod that I crafted. I built it, patterned from the rod JC had made.
    It needs a 10 wt line (so said JC so is what I have always had on it), and almost any reel. It can not be cast unless one does a double haul. No help from the rod at all. It is a broom stick. Once one gets the casting down on it, one can easily cast a real fly rod.
    The reason JC made his was to teach the DH. The best I ever saw it cast for distance was by Hans W
    who put it out to 74 feet as I remember. I can on a good day get mine cast out to around 50 feet.
    Harry Boyd cast mine down at the Sow Bug one year and got it out to around 60 feet.
    It is built on a real broom stick which is multi piece, It takes down and screws together.
    I do not have any pic of mine at this time. If any are interested I could take some.
    I have actually fished mine and caught fish. Not a fun rod to fish at all.

Denny

I'm still searching for that "perfectly fit" rod. That's why I have so many.................

Rod fit?
    Go to a fly shop, watch people pick up a rod, wiggle it and that's how they buy a rod.

This rod...

Thomas & Thomas Paradigm 9′, 5wt.

and a Scott, 10', 5wt., G Series, are two of my favorite rods...I don't know about the word "Natural", but both of these medium action rods are a joy to use for my casting style...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Subscript:
    "Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

My thought: To wife or older daughter, "How many arms do you have? How many pocket books do you need? And, How many feet do you have, how many pairs of shoes do you need?"
    Yeah, they can ask that with impunity but do you have the ***** to ask these questions, LOL?

Allan

Ally...is a BLACK BELT Al Anon...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread