+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly line memory

Hybrid View

Default Fly line memory

I am looking for a fly line that has the greatest ability to "lose it's memory". Some of the still waters that I fish have fish that just sip the midge and spit it out before I am able to get the slack line moved to set the hook.
    What line do you folks use? I try to keep the slack out but my current line insists on not lying straight on the water.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dick xfishcop

Of all the lines I've tried, the Sylk line has the least memory.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

About the only line I've had that didn't respond well to a good stretching prior to fishing was a Cortland Laser.

Regards,
    Scott

Airflo- urethane, rather than PVC construction. I've had more problems with leaders, Any movement in the line is usually enough to set the hook with small midges. Unlike fishing dries in current, where some slack is great for a perfect drift, stillwater is better approached with a straight leader and tippet. Make sure you're getting good turnover, and the first thing I do when the fly lands is use a hand twist to get the slack out. In lots of stillwater situations, the problem is waiting for the fish to actually turn down and close its mouth. Very easy to pull it away at the first sign of surface disturbance near your fly. I'd suggest using flurocarbon tippet, if you're not already. If they are just bumping the fly, change to an emerger and keep it high up by greasing the tippet to within a foot of the fly. I've had lots of practice just south (and NW) of you, my friend, hope you are blessed with lots of success.

Charlie

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

A quality silk line (as in real silk) has virtually no memory once it is well broken in. But that can take quite awhile in some cases. Phoenix silk lines are the lone exception to this (in my limited experience thus far) and are ready to go right out of the box. But you pay for that level of finish.

Aside from real silk, my experience (in cold water fisheries) is that all of the plastic lines will retain some memory, but I've had good luck with the Cortland Sylk lines (which Lotech suggested), and the Rio Trout LT lines. The S/A Supra lines also seem to be a pretty good line in this regard, and are a bit less expensive.

Having offered that, I'm not sure a different line is the solution to your problem. My guess is the line you have is likely to be adequate if you are getting the fish to "sip the midge". I think all of us have fish that can frustrate us in this regard. But for me, improving my abilities, and developing techniques to overcome the angling challenges I face is probably the real solution to them. Despite the fact that I often buy another piece of equipment in search of the answer. Whether it be a different fly, or a whole new rod, reel, and line. Oh, and don't forget a new furled leader, and...

---David

Of all the lines I have personally used, Cortland 444 classic (peach) has the least memory. Of all the lines that I have cast and looked at, Snowbee line has the least memory. In fact I would say it had no memory and is what I will most likely purchase for my next line.
    Last edited by anglerdave; 05-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    Of all the lines I have personally used, Cortland 444 classic (peach) has the least memory. Of all the signs that I have cast and looked at, Snowbee line has the least memory. In fact I would say it had no memory and is what I will most likely purchase for my next line.
    Upon reflection, I fished with a WF5F Peach line this last weekend and it performed flawlessly. Except for the occasional wind problems, it laid the fly out perfectly. By the way, that line is somewhere between 8-10 years old and it floated like a cork.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread