+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furled leader length

Hybrid View

Default Furled leader length

If this has been posted before, please disregard, I didn't see it.

I love the furled leaders which were sent to me by board members...at the same time, I also love fishing long leaders, especially with mixed surface currents and eddies. I feel I get a longer drift (slightly). I have trouble turning over 4' of tippet at the end of a "standard" furled leader.

That said, has anyone used an extremely long 10-12' or better leaders for fishing other than Tenkara? Does it work well? Would grey thread negate the visibility of having only a foot of tippet out the end?

Thanks

Mike
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Mike;
    Are you using thread leaders exclusivly? Leaders made from 4# test mono or fluoro are a bit more agressive and will turn over more tippet. With a 7' mono/fluoro leaders I use 6' of tippet.

Mike

I can turn over 6 feet of tippet with a 6 foot 6 inch furled leader. That is if it is not too windy...YMMV

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

4 lb?! That has got to be a monster leader. 2lb max here. I do use 10' leaders. I been reading about the long leadersand the furled just makes it that much easier, even with my 8'6 JWF. I would love to send you ont to try. I have a special mono or thread.

Not really Joni, there is only .001 differance between 2# & 4# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Not noticable and you get a 12# leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Not really Joni, there is only .001 differance between 2# & 4# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Not noticable and you get a 12# leader.

Interesting, hasn't been my findings. I will stick with the 2 lb. Seems more supple...to me.

If you fish waters like Montana and Idaho that are full of hungry trout and many waters that have NO pressure, the leader length might not matter. I have been reading about the LOCH style. The gentleman in the picture is a good friend Devon. I made these out of furled leaders and the tippet is where that tags are. Made it easier to roll cast it away from the boat.
    http://americanangler.com/technique/loch-style

In the latest issue of American Angler, there is a wonderful article of the benefits of the long leaders.

While searching however, I ran across this. Reminded me of the past post about "furling?" without a jig.

http://americanangler.com/rigging/do-the-twist

Not discounting you experience John, hope you are not discounting mine. The post was not about material but length. I just want to say I am always in a learning mode. Long leaders have peeked my interest as well.
    I never said thread leaders were not a good choice. I believe they are the most supple of any out there and most versatile, but I will not say that mono does not have a place. It most certainly does and I am not talking just stillwater. I have a mono that is not like the any other I have tried. It is truly wonderful. I fish a lot of rivers, just don't post pictures. For a 10' to 12' leader in which you want to ad 10' to 8' of tippet, I would not over look mono.

John, can you post a picture of 2" to the ring in thread so everyone can see the difference?

Seeing how you brought it up, I am not getting the furled leader out of Fluoro idea. Sure fluorcarbon sinks but not like a brick by any means. Soak a thread leader and it will sink fantastic for nymphs and streamers. Plus there is Kevlar. Fluorocarbon being as expensive as it is and the fact I think Vanish is junk (my choice), I don't get it. Just use more tippet, use fluoro tippet. If fish see my leader, they are seeing too much, but some fish just dont care. People want stealth, I think it is more in the delivery and the tippet, not the leader and flyline, however both will make it possible to deliver that fly the way and the where needed.

I have a couple of Fluoro furled I made...of course they are nice. But as you mentioned, stiffer and costy. Thread and Kevlar if you want to nymph, not to mention strong as all get out, but still that thread flexible. BUT, I always use Fluoro for the tippet, my choice, but I am always trying other things...made a few changes along the way. I feel that is a good thing. Curious about something, Try it. Then you know for sure.

+ Reply to Thread