+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furled leader length

Default Furled leader length

If this has been posted before, please disregard, I didn't see it.

I love the furled leaders which were sent to me by board members...at the same time, I also love fishing long leaders, especially with mixed surface currents and eddies. I feel I get a longer drift (slightly). I have trouble turning over 4' of tippet at the end of a "standard" furled leader.

That said, has anyone used an extremely long 10-12' or better leaders for fishing other than Tenkara? Does it work well? Would grey thread negate the visibility of having only a foot of tippet out the end?

Thanks

Mike
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Mike;
    Are you using thread leaders exclusivly? Leaders made from 4# test mono or fluoro are a bit more agressive and will turn over more tippet. With a 7' mono/fluoro leaders I use 6' of tippet.

Mike

I can turn over 6 feet of tippet with a 6 foot 6 inch furled leader. That is if it is not too windy...YMMV

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

4 lb?! That has got to be a monster leader. 2lb max here. I do use 10' leaders. I been reading about the long leadersand the furled just makes it that much easier, even with my 8'6 JWF. I would love to send you ont to try. I have a special mono or thread.

Not really Joni, there is only .001 differance between 2# & 4# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Not noticable and you get a 12# leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Not really Joni, there is only .001 differance between 2# & 4# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Not noticable and you get a 12# leader.

Interesting, hasn't been my findings. I will stick with the 2 lb. Seems more supple...to me.

I have both, but like the thin profile of the thread leaders. I know so little about them...but will try the mono one with longer tippet.

The Tenkara furled leader thread was what set my brain thinking
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

You would like the material I make my MONO out of, I think.

If you fish waters like Montana and Idaho that are full of hungry trout and many waters that have NO pressure, the leader length might not matter. I have been reading about the LOCH style. The gentleman in the picture is a good friend Devon. I made these out of furled leaders and the tippet is where that tags are. Made it easier to roll cast it away from the boat.
    http://americanangler.com/technique/loch-style

In the latest issue of American Angler, there is a wonderful article of the benefits of the long leaders.

While searching however, I ran across this. Reminded me of the past post about "furling?" without a jig.

http://americanangler.com/rigging/do-the-twist

Not discounting you experience John, hope you are not discounting mine. The post was not about material but length. I just want to say I am always in a learning mode. Long leaders have peeked my interest as well.
    I never said thread leaders were not a good choice. I believe they are the most supple of any out there and most versatile, but I will not say that mono does not have a place. It most certainly does and I am not talking just stillwater. I have a mono that is not like the any other I have tried. It is truly wonderful. I fish a lot of rivers, just don't post pictures. For a 10' to 12' leader in which you want to ad 10' to 8' of tippet, I would not over look mono.

John, can you post a picture of 2" to the ring in thread so everyone can see the difference?

+ Reply to Thread