+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting Question

Default Casting Question

I've grown accustom to casting a 9' Cabela's Wind River 5wt., not the best rod and not the worst, but I like it, it cast well for me. I just bought a TFO series 1 6' 2wt. I have it rigged with am AJ Forbes Magnesium reel and Wulff TT line. I consider this rod and set up to be better than the Cabela's though I have a harder time casting it. I'm not sure if it?s the shorter length, line weight, flex of the rod, over powering my stroke, or just rusty casting due to the winter season. My casting feels out of control. Has anyone else had difficulty moving from a longer 5 wt. rod to a short 2wt.? Any lessons learned to make the transition easier? Thanks

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:038de]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:038de]

I'm not a casting expert, but from what you are saying it sounds like you need to slow down your casting stroke if you feel out of control. You need to feel the action of the rod and adjust from there. I would think that because it is a shorter rod than what you are use to, you need to let the line catch up with the rod and slowing down your stroke should help.

------------------
    Tight lines,

Jeremy Barela
    www.customflys.com

big difference between the 5wt. and 2wt. also a big difference in length. in theory, a shorter rod will not cast as far as a long rod, and a 2 weight is about 2.5 times smaller than the 5 weight. line weight is determined by how many grains your line weights... sort of like casting a spin rod with a size B sinker, as opposed to casting it with a 3/0 sinker... the 3/0 sinker will go much further. Plus... the length of the rod intensifies that just a little. I have seen (and own) a 7' bamboo 4 weight that will cast, stroke for stroke, with my 9' 4weight graphite rod. On the contrary, I have a 7'6" graphite 4 weight that will cast no where near the length that I can get out of my 9' 4 weight. It also seems like you might want to invest in a mechanism (whatever you may choose) to help you with your casting, and other issues like this one. I'm sure, if you continue to follow this thread, you will hear many good books and videos named, but the one that I always hear about is Joan Wulff's video, The Dynamic of Flycasting. That woman can cast a flyrod! Mabye you can get Castwell to chime in with some help... since flyrodcasting seems to be a specialty of his!
    browntrout

If the Cabela's Wind River 9' 5wt you own casts anything like the one I have cast, all I can say is I'm extremely pleased that you're still interested in fly fishing. I'm not saying this to make fun of your gear, but the one I cast was the best example of a "buggy whip" I have ever cast.

I wouldn't suggest doing this permanently, but try borrowing a reel loaded with a three or even four weight line from somebody and cast the rod with that on it. This should help you get the feel for how that rod wants to flex. (try the three first) Then switch back to your two after that once you are used to the rythym that rod likes. I am suggesting this because I expect the TFO rod to have a much faster action than the Cabela's rod did.

Its also entirely possible that the Wind River you are used to casts totally differently than the one I cast, and my advice isn't accurate at all.

Thanks for the input.
    Barel Fly- I agree I need to slow my cast down some. I played around a bit and my timing is way off.
    BigCliff- I also agree the TFO has a much faster action. It seems to take much more to load the rod and it being a 2wt., I'm not casting very far so getting the line out there is a bit choppy at first.

I'm looking forward to getting out and cast it without ice in my guides and cold weather memory loops in my line. Should make thing a bit easier when its not so cold. Take care.

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:d65af]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:d65af]

+ Reply to Thread