+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furling Jigs / Boards

I have been making my own FL and fishing them for over 10 years now. My board is auto with a geared motor set up.
    Not wanting to be confused with percentages, etc, I feel a FL should be of a tightness of just before it breaks. So, I rope up my thread on my pegs for each material I use. run the motor with a stop watch running, until it breaks. Look at the time it took until breakage, then subtract 5 seconds. This is the time I will twist this material for my FL. Yes, I scrap one mess of thread for each different material. I have found that different materials get to the breaking point at different times. For me this is just a simple method for control. I do not care how many turns or what weight it needs or what percentage it shrinks.
    I only make and fish two different FL. I use 6/0 uni for my dry fly fishing with a wt fwd line and 3 to 5 ft of tippet. I do grease the FL w/red mucilin. (only to keep it from sprinkling droplets of water when casting to a rise.)
    When fishing my lakes with a Nymph, I use a Rio Lake line Intermediate, that sinks at a specific rate. Nothing I did would sink at the same rate until I used Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon, 2 lb which is .006" dia. It is a bit pricey but does sink at the same rate as my line and I find it works quite well for me. (Note: I have never found Vantage in 2 lb. I tried Vantage 4 lb and do not like it.
    My first experience was watching Hans flurl a leader by pinning (safety pin) thread to the motel room carpet. Twisted with a battery powered drill motor.
    There are many different ways to make your own. Nothing is graven in stone. I suggest being inventive like many have posted. Enjoy the making of your own FL. I will never go back to any other leaders. Now I know some prefer other leaders. So be it. Just go fishin and have fun.

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    While the hooks are turning in the same direction, the material is being twisted in opposite directions.

John
    Yep John, just like yours. Do you see this as a problem? Inquiring minds(what little is left) would like to know...

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Given that most of us furl with the layout going around a tip-end peg, i.e., in a "V" lay out configuration, a false illusion is created. In reality, if you mentally envision the one hook at the other end of a linear layout, the ends are, in reality, twisting in opposite directions; even though at the butt-hook end they do turn in the same direction.

Okay the following is a link to some pictures of my board. It is made to make three stranded leaders, and line. My board is made of Oak and peg board. The posts are metal posts with a handle that screws them in on the bottom of the board. It has three sections with the middle third section being interchangeable depending on how long of a leader I am making. Since it is capable of making three stranded leaders it has three hooks rotating in the same direction, and one to go in opposite direction to give me a power furl. I hope it is up to par here, and the liking of the forum. It works wonderfully, and goes very fast with the 7,000 rpm sewing machine motor. The light switch is my reostat and does a very good job as well.

http://photobucket.com/furlingjig

Cheers,

Brandon Moon

I'd say it's up to par ...in fact at least a birdie or even an eagle.

I'd like to see pictures of the under surface...wondering exactly how you suspended the pegboard...and also pictures of an individual peg to show construction of the fastening mechanism.

Thanks for sharing.

Duckster asked for some different pictures of my board and posts so here they are. We cut a groove in the Oak to slide the pegboard in and then glued it in nice and tight. We added the cross beam for added support as my board is longer to help keep its shape. The posts just screw in with the handle for quick and easy changing of peg placement. I do have washers on both sides of the board to give some added support. I will be making a new board that is two pieces and 24 feet long so I can make some monster long Tenkara leaders. POST2.jpgThis is my post I use.POST.jpgThis is just the bottom side of the board.BOTTOM BOARD2.jpgThis is the bottom of my board with my peg handle.BOTTOM BOARD.jpg

A very nice piece of work.

New to the fly tying world never heard of a furling jig. Can anyone please tell me what it is use for and why would I need one

The jigs are to make furled leaders.

Here is a discussion....note post #3 by John Scott...an excellent explanation.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...e-the-benefits

+ Reply to Thread