I've owned a couple of TiCr-X rods. They are really fast rods, designed for distance casting. For close-in work, I have found overlining them works better. Even at moderate distances, I like a 7wt line on my TiCr-X 6wt. And at distant targets, I still like one of the 1/2 line-weight-heavy type lines like a Rio Grand or a SA GPX. If you like a ultra-fast rod, the TiCr-X is fantastic. I cast big, heavy and wind resistant flies on mine for smallmouth bass, mainly from a canoe or pontoon boat, and it excels at that job. I've not found many rods that do the job I bought the rod for any better. I am currently fishing a TiCr-X in the shorter version, the 7'6" 6wt from my river boats, and the rod is a real cannon for casting big flies. Picking the right line for the distances you are gonna encounter the most is important on these rods, but once you hit that "sweet spot" on a line for the distances you fish most, they are superb rods. I've got rods that cost way more than the TFO TiCr-X and when fishing for river smallmouth bass, it's my "go-to" rod.