Thread: Elk River, TN; Tons of tiddlers.

Threaded View

Default Elk River, TN; Tons of tiddlers.

I played host & guide for a couple of my friends from up on the Plateau this weekend. We hit the Elk, just below the dam a little later than expected, getting into the water at around 1:30pm Saturday. I fished down on the bend, my 2 buds a little farther upstream. Plenty of fish were seen flashing in the deeper, slower water, but danged if we could persuade them to bite anything We tried a vast array of nymphs, Wooley Buggers of all sizes & colors, Gnats, Midges & Soft Hackles, but not a damn thing would get them to bite. Luckily a thunderstorm rolled in & got us off the water.
    We drove around to Farris Creek Bridge & met a couple coming off the water who seemed to have had a good day fishing yellow & orange Soft Hackles. Well, we didn't need telling twice! We each tied on a wet & spread out to begin casting; Jerry at the top of the first riffle below the bridge, Ethan at the creek mouth & I waded up toward the bridge.
    I was casting my 3wt Temple Fork, furled leader & a 30" 7X tippet with a size 16 yellow hackle & my first dead-drift produced a pretty little 8" brownie, as did my second & third casts.
    Looking downstream I could see Jerry & Ethan getting into the action as well
    We all wore out several flies in the space of 3 hours & if I remember correctly our joint total ran to 77 brownies between 6 & 12", 1 rainbow of 11" & 6 creek minnow.
    Round about 7pm, the surface activity showed a marked increase & Ethan & I switched to dry-flies. A few quick experimental patterns showed us that grey Adams seemed to be producing reliable takes & between us we managed a further 12 fish on dries.

This was by far & away the best day's fishing I've ever had, numbers & fun wise!

Last edited by Robtattoo; 05-21-2012 at 10:07 PM.