+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

john...

Thanks for your detailed response. Your process does make sense to me. Also, someone else clearly ascertained the % reduction through trial and error, and left behind the requisite peg spacings, etc., necessary to make a functional leader.

Yes, I do try to make uniform, predetermined length leaders, and am quite satisfied with what I produce, as they are all uniform. Skip Shorb was my mentor, and he used(s) a 10% reduction factor. As this results in a functional leader, but one with a 'loose' furl, to my thinking, I went in search of methodology for getting a tighter furl, similar to what rope (lariat) makers get (a process that I was introduced to during my formative years in the '40's). This search led me to a paper that addressed maximum twist in ropes, wherein it was noted, that based on physics, the maximum reduction for a 2-strand rope is 37%, and for a 3-strand rope, it is 32%. Based on this information, I proceeded experimenting with various % reductions beyond 10%; all the way to 33% for a 2-strand rope (during this time, I did not try to make a tapered leader, as I was primarily concerned with the 'stiffness' associated with each level of reduction---I have seen new lariats that could stand on their own on their ends they are so stiff!). After numerous trials, I finally settled on a 20-22% reduction as optimal for a supple leader. Anything much beyond about 25% is way too stiff, IMHO. For my own leaders, I use a 20% reduction; which is extremely close to your estimated 18% reduction.

I too use the materials that I personally prefer. As a consequence, I use only polyester threads (Guetermann). And as far as how many furlongs one can run in a fortnight, I have no interest. I make them at my leisure!

Regards,
    Frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    And as far as how many furlongs one can run in a fortnight, I have no interest. I make them at my leisure!

Regards,
    Frank
    Frank

If I did not mis read the original question, it was how fast do other furlers make their leaders. I am not bragging...I can make them at the rate of 12 per hour, if I choose. Do I do that all the time...NO, some types of leaders take much longer to construct and I usually go at a much slower pace.

John,

Sorry to confuse you with the diagram, it is backwards for me to! It was the best I could find in a short time. I will try to do better the next time.

HRH Betty

I also enjoy the process of making the leaders. When I have several hundred to make for a show, it is great to have the machinery available to make a lot of leaders in a little time. That gives me more time for bamboo rod building, fly tying, net making, and of course fishing! You are correct that it feels good to use the items you make to fool a fish or six!

David

to answer your question, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Sounds like like you have the process down pat. Good luck and carry on!!

Brad
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 05-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

John, is this better?

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

I've worked several shows with Brad and he's not bragging!! I can barely keep up with him filling out labels and bagging the leaders!!

Glad to help

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

kaboom...

My point was that, like Betty, Ladyfisher, and Utah David, how fast they can be made is of no concern to me, as I make them mostly for my own use, and for a few close friends. I am not commercially making them where "time is money". I have paid my sues "fighting the time clock', and refuse to do it in retirement; which, incidentally, I HIGHLY recommend!

Cheers!
    Frank

Kaboom,
    I see that you are attending Grayrock (again?) this year. Did you do a demo there a couple years back? Either way we should take time to compare proceedures.
    I make two individual lays, then furle together. My rig utilizes a handheld electric mixer (counter rotating 'blades').
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Hey, Ron! How 'bout some pictures and descriptions of your furling "machine"?? Sounds interesting!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

It's there.......
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

+ Reply to Thread