+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Furled leaders

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Ray;
    Here in lays the rub!! Frank flyfishes for Bass, Joni fishes lakes, John Scott fishes mountian streams with Dry Flys (Mostly) and I fish Tail Waters with weighted wet flys sans indicator (mostly). So,, when we each extoll the virtues of our leaders you must consider how and what we fish for. Each of us has the perfect furled leader and will argue that to the death! But!! It is for our style of fishing on our home waters! The amazing thing is that we can all design a furled leader that will fit our needs.
    Very well said!

Frank

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    One other question, when using thread to furl a leader, doesn't the thread leader get soaked through and sink rather than float?
    John has provided an excellent answer, to which I would add that when new they can be saturated with materials that help water proof them if the little bit of sink is a problem. If so treated, they will need to be periodically 'dressed'; not unlike a silk fly line. I use Guetermann polyester thread for my leaders. Like John said, they tend to sink slightly ("ride just below the surface"). I do not find this to be a problem.

Cheers!

MUCILIN RED....http://www.riverbum.com/Mucilin-Fly-Dressing/
    Easy to carry, easy to apply.

Blog Entries

MUCILIN GREEN should work just as well. The concerns about the silicon in the Green 'tin' is unfounded; especially if you use glass or graphite rods. The concern is VALID if you are talking about bamboo BEFORE the varnish is applied! Silicon on any surface to be painted or varnished can cause "fish eyes" in the coating material; as the auto makers found out some years ago. It should NOT harm the dried finish on a bamboo rod. Thus, the recommendation of Red Label is apparently based on a partial truth.

I venture that Mink Oil will work just as well! I have used Barbour's THORNPROOF DRESSING with good results. Any fly line dressing will also work.

Cheers!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.

True Sage on the Mucilin, but there is a choice and don't have to worry bought the red. Great stuff.

and there is always Albolene

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    "... don't have to worry bought the red.
    Yes, there is a choice; but, since this is a matter of concern priarily for the rod builders; not the users, to my way of thinking, 'choice' becomes moot.

Cheers!
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    Yes, there is a choice; but, since this is a matter of concern priarily for the rod builders; not the users, to my way of thinking, 'choice' becomes moot.

Cheers!

The RED is no worry, that is why I didn't mention the Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Newtyer1
    I have a video on making furled leaders. I also have the plans for a board in photo bucket as well as a photo tutorial on making shorb loops. I'll get a pm off to you tomorrow.

Thread leaders can be treated with any floatant to keep them from sinking, so can mono leaders!!

P.S. You have a good thing going with your Fish-In. I'll be headed up to the Michigan Fish-In that day or I would be there!
    Jack,

What does it take to get a copy of that PM sent to me also?

Don
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread