+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Furled leaders

Without attempting to sound "snippy" - that's the nice thing about furled leaders - you can try just about anything.

For example - I fish a 5' furled leader on a 3wt and tie on 2 feet of 4x and fish a streamer. I can then cut that off and tie on 5' of 6x or 7x and fish a midge....or I can then cut that off and tie on 2' of 5x to a hopper and then tie on 2' of 7x to the hopper and fish a midge dropper - all with the same furled leader. I don't step down unless I fish a dry/dropper. I usually just loop-to-loop the tippet size I want straight to the furled leader and fish it. Works great for me and no one has ever tapped me on the shoulder and said "Son you're doin' it wrong"....
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    Thanks. I have one in mono and one in thread
    Pretty sure Jack was referring to regular mono tapered leaders....not furled mono.

Okay, here is one for you. I like to stillwater deep nymph. Up to 30'. Now I casn do this with a Type VII line but I like the floating and the indicator (I use the slip indicators) Using the slip indicator, knots are not a good thing, so drill the peg hole out larger. Pretty much impossible to cast a 20' to 30' leader made out of straight mono or fluoro so, I found that a nice 7 furled leader, and the drilled out indicator, add 13' to 18' of tippet or in my cast P-Line fluoro, I can now actually cast this. Not pretty but doable. 30' is still a tuff one. Got me thinking about the new long leaders. So a friend is trying a 7'er that he is tapering a tippet to make an 18' leader. He liked the first try.

Ray;
    Here in lays the rub!! Frank flyfishes for Bass, Joni fishes lakes, John Scott fishes mountian streams with Dry Flys (Mostly) and I fish Tail Waters with weighted wet flys sans indicator (mostly). So,, when we each extoll the virtues of our leaders you must consider how and what we fish for. Each of us has the perfect furled leader and will argue that to the death! But!! It is for our style of fishing on our home waters! The amazing thing is that we can all design a furled leader that will fit our needs.

NewTyer 1 Guest

How exactly do you make furled leaders and is there a how to video. Everytime I look, All I find is the guy that just twist the line together with out a jig. I am pretty sure that is not the correct proceedure. Any good plans out there to make a jig and maybe some pictures. I am curious about these and would like to give it a try. One other question, when using thread to furl a leader, doesn't the thread leader get soaked through and sink rather than float?

NewTyer 1,

Try this: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/kathyscott.php

That is how I got started. She has a great DVD!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Newtyer1
    I have a video on making furled leaders. I also have the plans for a board in photo bucket as well as a photo tutorial on making shorb loops. I'll get a pm off to you tomorrow.

Thread leaders can be treated with any floatant to keep them from sinking, so can mono leaders!!

P.S. You have a good thing going with your Fish-In. I'll be headed up to the Michigan Fish-In that day or I would be there!

warren beat me by 2 minutes!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Damn would have liked to meet you but, hey. Stop in and say hi to Jerry(Hairwig530) he lives on the Au Sable up there in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Newtyer1
    I have a video on making furled leaders. I also have the plans for a board in photo bucket as well as a photo tutorial on making shorb loops. I'll get a pm off to you tomorrow.

Thread leaders can be treated with any floatant to keep them from sinking, so can mono leaders!!

P.S. You have a good thing going with your Fish-In. I'll be headed up to the Michigan Fish-In that day or I would be there!

Kathy Scotts video got me going. Awesome and simple. Oh and I guide on rivers and all my clients use a furled leader,they are that good. Not meaning mine are that good (but they are ) But any furled leader because you can cast just the leader, cannot do that with a taper mono or fluoro. Just makes it that much nicer. I also am one tha fishes 28's through 32's in the winter and the furled leader can lay it on water as soft as floss.

+ Reply to Thread