+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube flies?

Hybrid View

Default Tube flies?

Has anyone here gave much thought to or tried fishing tube flies for bass? I have been checking out some steelhead tyers, and really think the motion and setup of the tube style would lend itself well to big streamers used for bass. Rabbit would come alive without the hook shank in the way.... Thoughts?

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

'Kid,

I know a few bassers that use this system, but mainly for topwater...you can build bodies and tails on tubes, then mix/match them.

I tried it on some streamer/subsurface patterns some years back...didn't particularly like it....I prefer my hooks to be closer to the head on bass flies and I thought that the action wasn't as controllable.

You might like it, though, so give it a shot.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I am sure they would work, but they look like a pain to tie, and unnecessary. Woolly Buggers always work, and are super easy and fast to tie. If I get bored with them, I make a few easy Clousers.

Tube Flies look really strange to me. I would be interested in hearing the results, if anyone tries it.

My experience was very similar to Buddy's. I tried them for streamers a few years back and really couldn't see any advantage and I didn't feel like they provided as much action in the water. I went;; back to suing traditional hooks. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Thanks for the opinions and insight, guys. I appreciate it! Might try them, but I think a dubbing brush twister will be higher in my "to do" list!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I've actually tied with and used tube flies for bass for a few years now. I find them VERY useful and strategic. Here's why:
    • You can throw much bigger flies (profile-wise) with a much lighter load by getting rid of the heavy metal shank and head. This works with both poppers/divers and streamer style flies.
    • If there is a need to go weedless, you tie on a weedless hook. Or you can use a normal tube fly style hook. Lot more flexibility, IMO.
    • I have found that by using tube flies, they are inherently a little less "weedy" anyway by virtue of the hook orientation with respect to the body of the fly. Depends on the hook style, but I've found my poppers tied on tubes are way less likely to get hung up.
    Here are some examples. This pattern is one of my favorite sub-surface flies. It's called the Deflectinator because it deflects nicely off of weeds, branches etc. I tie the monster cone in inverted like that as well as normal orientation. Great action in the water too.

New type of Deflectinator pattern by El Frito, on Flickr

And some diver and popper style tube flies

Torpedo by El Frito, on Flickr

Bass Popper by El Frito, on Flickr

The fish like 'em

Largemouth Bass by El Frito, on Flickr

Large Mouth Bass by El Frito, on Flickr

Bass on frog by El Frito, on Flickr

Hope that gives you some more information... good luck!

+ Reply to Thread