+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FISHING THE HORN - Readers cast (Neil Travis) - May 21, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FISHING THE HORN - Readers cast (Neil Travis) - May 21, 2012

FISHING THE HORN

Like a black snake, two lanes of asphalt snakes away in a generally southwesterly direction from the town of Hardin, Montana. The country rolls way like a green carpet toward the Big Horn River and the town of Fort Smith. It's roughly 40 miles from Hardin to Fort Smith, and the road takes you through miles of farm land where cock pheasants can be seen walking around in the alfalfa and sugar beet fields.

Been reading all of your articles, and this latest "Eye Of The Guide" article is great! I also admire the three fly fishing patterns in "Fishing The Horn".

As always, whenever I find fly fishing patterns in FAOL articles that are not a part of FAOL's Fly Tying Section, I copy and paste and put them in my "Other FAOL Fly Patterns" folder that I keep. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Blog Entries

Sorry about the missing pics folks.
    I was in LA at a conference last weekend.
    After being on my feet for 23 hours doing this at 2 in the morning Sunday was probably not the best choice.
    It was however the only choice at the time.
    Fixed. Hope this helps.

--Ron--

"This form of fishing requires only minimal casting and fly fishing skills but produces a steady stream of hooked fish for the anglers. When the guide finds a particularly productive piece of water where the fish are 'stacked up' they float down through the section and then row back up and repeat the process again and again. It is not unusual for each drift to produce a couple fish and doubles, where both the anglers in the boat have a fish on at the same time, are not unusual. We watched two boats on the opposite side of the river from where we were sitting, both operated by guides, float down and row back up a piece of water all morning long that was approximately 50 yards long! Their clients were continually hooking and landing fish and there was an ongoing competition between the two boats, which apparently contained friends, and they maintained a running count of number of fish caught and their size. [Which was approximate since I never saw any fish actually measured] They arrived about 10 am and did not leave until around 2 pm. Although the area they fished varied slightly during the course of the time they were there, they never covered more than 75 yards of river but they caught and released 50 or 60 fish between the two boats. Not my idea of a good time but the clients sure seemed to be happy."

Weird, I have thought the same thing about dry fly fishermen on the Big Horn. You see the trout so you know where he is. You see what he is eating so you know what pattern to throw. You see every current between you and the fish. Guess it's a matter of perspective.

I have to agree Dub. While I love a good dry fly hit, the idea of having your fly in or on the water longer means more chances for a hook up. So I don't see how that is a negative. Just seems like another snobby dry fly fisherman to me. And we don't need any more of those right now.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I don't think he was ragging on nymph fishing per se, more the practice of fishing the same spot over and over and over. Sitting on the same hole for 4 hours? I don't care how fantastic the fishing is, with all that great water and beautiful scenery there I think I'd prefer to drift down a ways and see what else the river had to offer.

Regards,
    Scott

I just report what I see, and how I see it. It's not my idea of a good time but if it makes you happy go for it. Those that know me or have read the stuff I write know that I'm not hardly 'a dry fly snob" but if that's how you perceive me then you're entitled to your opinion. Have a great day branhap.

The Chronicler

Question I'm still scratching my head ...

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    I have to agree Dub. While I love a good dry fly hit, the idea of having your fly in or on the water longer means more chances for a hook up. So I don't see how that is a negative. Just seems like another snobby dry fly fisherman to me. And we don't need any more of those right now.

Paul
    ... over where the comment about "snobby dry fly fisherman" came from ??????????????????????????????

It can't possibly refer to Neil and Tom Travis, as anyone who has regularly read the weekly editions on the main page for the past couple years would know. Those guys are two of the best, all around, down to earth, salt of the earth fly anglers on the planet.

As far as the passage that DUB quoted goes, man, I'm glad that there are people out there doing that so they aren't cluttering up the places I like to fish. The more the better as far as I am concerned.

It is hard for me to relate to folks who pay guides big bucks to rig up their fly angling gear and put them on pods of hungry fish so they can count catches and be merry. On the other hand, I know a lot of guides and I'm happy for them that there are lots of folks contributing to their economic health !! If not boring them to death with such antics.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread