+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: prince nymph

Default prince nymph

ok,
    so i spun up 2 prince charming nymphs, (my first ones ever)
    and an curious..... what are they supposed to represent? i can not think of any aquatic species that resembles them in the slightest..... are they just a searching pattern?

i spun them up on Mustad size 10 scud hooks, may be too big?
    as always, comment please

DSCN1583.jpgDSCN1584.jpgDSCN1586.jpgDSCN1588.jpg

enjoying tying more and more each day,

spoof

PS- i know, i know, just look it up on Google..... i like to see what you guys come up with instead!! its more interesting lol
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

I am not familiar with your "Prince Charming" , but have to admit, it looks pretty dang good.

I have always heard that the Prince is mostly an attractor pattern. Imitates nothing, but still catches lots of fish. I disagree with that to an extent. When I look at a Prince nymph in sizes 16 to 10 I see Stone nymphs. Just my opinion, but I think it does a great job of imitating the Little Winter Stones.

Your pattern? Looks like a Golden Stone nymph to me.

Quote Originally Posted by spoof85 View Post
    ok,
    so i spun up 2 prince charming nymphs, (my first ones ever)
    and an curious..... what are they supposed to represent? i can not think of any aquatic species that resembles them in the slightest..... are they just a searching pattern?
    Nice fly; I agree with DUB, closest bug I'd think would be a golden stone. Best thing to do, if possible, would be to find a talking whitefish; if someone held a gun to my head and said I had to catch a whitefish to save mankind, I'd tie on a beadhead Prince of some sort.

Regards,
    Scott

Lightbulb Hmmmmmm ......

Nice job tying those flies and with the pix, spoof. I'd fish them with some confidence for trouts in moving water. If I were tying them, I'd go a bit sparser on the tails and hackle.

Having said that, I need to ask about the name. Is that the "prince charming" that was recently written up in a fly tying magazine ?? When I saw that one, I thought, and still do, that the fly bears virtually no resemblance to a prince nymph, and the naming of it is a cheap marketing trick meant to attract attention and increase sales. The only thing they have in common with a real prince nymph is the white biots.

Got to say that the real prince nymph, which has a well deserved world class reputation, is a fly that just never worked for me. I'd either lose them before I caught a fish or I wouldn't catch a fish. Except one time when I pulled about fifteen mountain whitefish out of one small hole with one fly on the South Fork of the Snake in SE Idaho. Scott for sure would save the world.

John
    The fish are always right.

Nicely done. I do recall the PC nymph in FlyTyer magazine. Never tied or fished it myself, so can't comment there. I've always assumed a Stonefly nymph best matched the Prince. The Prine has always been hot or cold for me....more cold than not.

John, I believe the Prince Charming nymph was a submission fly, not a FlyTyer creation?

Ralph

Funny John, when I need a confidence pattern, the Prince is my first choice! Normally put it below a K Stone Nymph Heh
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

it is a pattern out of Fly Tyer magazine, i will have to look up the prince nymph.
    i figure if the variation looks this good, i can only imagine the original...
    now that u guys say that, i do see a stonefly nymph a bit..... kinda sorta...lol
    either way thanks guys, keep discussing.....
    spoof

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Nice job tying those flies and with the pix, spoof. I'd fish them with some confidence for trouts in moving water. If I were tying them, I'd go a bit sparser on the tails and hackle.
    thanks, always appreciate a compliment lol
    ya know, i haven't had any luck in moving water with anything yet.....
    as for the tail and hackle, you out tie me 10 to 1, i take that as advise.... thanks

The biggest brown trout I ever saw caught and landed, was caught on a #14 Prince Nymph.
    I've had a fair-share of luck fishing a Prince Nymph in the past, but dont nymph fish all that much anymore. I always looked at the Prince Nymph as a variation of a stone fly nymph of sorts.
    Mark 1:17

How stiff is the hackle around the collar? I have found the softer the collar the more fish I catch with them. The proportions are excellent and a clean tie. That size works great for steelhead in the winter.

+ Reply to Thread