+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with boo rod......

Hybrid View

Default help with boo rod......

hey guys,

i just made a trade with a fellow fisher, i traded a $25 Cabelas reel, and i have to spool it up for him with wf4f... no big deal... did i make a good decision? it was for a boo rod.... and can anyone give any suggestions on value, if this was a good deal, or if its worth fixing......

there are no markings at all.... no clue on the weight, actual length, (dont have a tape measure handy) age, or maker....

it does have a few issues, 2 broken eyes, one possibly missing altogether, looks like a cracked seat, and some loose threads..... all should be easy for a vet to fix....

its a 5 piece, each section is about 13 inchs...

the 2 broken eyes...

possible missing eye....

loose threads, and cracked handle....

i figure the cost of my trade is about $50.

if anything, any of u guys repair rods for barter? and can any of u guys tell what weight rod it is? im obviously not looking to spend alot on repairs, i am trying to get into rob building, but this is out of my league for now!

all input helps,

spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Looks like a real interesting rod - don't see many 5 piece bamboos - be a perfect project for your first rod building intro. Everything but the cracked reel seat you could do yourself, and maybe the seat too with some guidance. Think you got a good deal.

What Karen said. I would have jumped on it for fifty bucks or the equivalent ( assuming the ferrules are reasonably tight ).

John
    The fish are always right.

How totally funny! when I first read your post, spoof, I said your friend got a good deal! The parts that are missing/loose/cracked all can be replaced. If all the seams are tight, and the ferrules are tight, you may be able to make a fine little rod out of it! It'll take a while (far from the instant gratification your friend will get just putting the reel straight on his rod), and with a BUNCH of patience, and probably some help from those on here, you'll have a great time with your pretty new-to-you rod!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Rebuilding a bamboo rod can be a ton of fun! Start by assembling the rod and making a chart of where all the guides are/were. Decide if you want to replace the grip and reel seat or just replace the cracked reel seat.

Remove all the remaining guides. You will get a bazillion opinions on how to remove the old varnish but I like to scrape it off. I use a single edge razor blade leaned in the direction you are pulling it. The old varnish chips off remarkably fast with minimal damage to the underlying cane. Once the varnish is off, I give the section a few swipes with a scotchbrite pad and it is ready to finish.

Now check all of the ferrules to make sure they are tight with the cane. If one is loose, apply a little heat and remove it. Clean it up and re-glue it.

At this point, I give all the sections a couple of coats of wipe on polyurethane to seal the surface. Then I go to my chart and mark out and wrap down NEW guides. You do not want to use the old ones and new guides are cheap. You can use nylon. Very few can tell the difference when you are done. Varnish the threads and give the whole thing a couple more coats of wipe on and you are done.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

spoof ... been looking at the pictures you posted, and am almost of a mind (in my almost mind!) that the guide that you thought was missing, may not be a missing guide. The thread has a slanting wrap in the middle of the two solid wraps, and may just be decorative. Kevin? What do you think??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread