+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with fly rod.....

Hybrid View

Default help with fly rod.....

hey guys,
    i know this has nothing to do with flies, but.....

i just made a trade with a fellow fisher, i traded a $25 Cabelas reel, and i have to spool it up for him with wf4f... no big deal... did i make a good decision? it was for a boo rod.... and can anyone give any suggestions on value, if this was a good deal, or if its worth fixing......

there are no markings at all.... no clue on the weight, actual length, (dont have a tape measure handy) age, or maker....

it does have a few issues, 2 broken eyes, one possibly missing altogether, looks like a cracked seat, and some loose threads..... all should be easy for a vet to fix....

its a 5 piece, each section is about 13 inchs...
    DSCN1579.jpg
    the 2 broken eyes...
    DSCN1580.jpg
    possible missing eye....
    DSCN1581.jpg
    loose threads, and cracked handle....
    DSCN1582.jpg

i figure the cost of my trade is about $50.

if anything, any of u guys repair rods? or can any of u guys tell what weight rod it is? im obviously not looking to spend alot on repairs, i am trying to get into rob building, but this is out of my league for now!

all input helps,

spoof

PS- i just posted this in the rod building section....
    Last edited by spoof85; 05-19-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Spoof,

First, it looks like the lower section comes out of the handle. Check to see if there is a matching insertion point in the other end of the handle. That will make it a 'convertible' rod, one that can be used for either fly or spinning...

That's not a missing eye, just a bit of 'trim' to let you tell the section used for spinning from the 'fly' section (you don't use all the sections wehn using it as a spinning rod...the one with the 'trim' is one left out, if I remember correctly).

These rods were made in post WWII Japan, sold in lacquered boxes to GIs. There were of rather poor quality cane, and the fit/finish was not great either.

It has little value unless it's all original, in mint condition with the box (the box is the most valuable part for collectors). In the condition yours is in...not worth much.

I've refurbished a few of these for owners who had a 'sentimental' attachment to them. I've cast all of these, and would not want to attempt to fish with one as a fly rod. As a spinning rod they are pretty awful too.

Most will cast adequately with a 7 weight line. If you want more accurate line weight evaluation, you can 'common cents' it. (Rodbuilding.org will have instructions) This will give you a precise measurement.

You could, of course, fix it up. You can buy all the parts easily online. You'll need a couple of new stripping guides, some thread, and if you are going to go to all that trouble, replace all the guides so the wraps match. I'd not spend the effort, unless you want something to practice on.

It does make a nice converstaion piece hung on a wall or standing in a rod rack.

Sorry,

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Our assessment as well - but they are fun to have, refinish it enough to make a wall-hanger out of it, good for lots of nice conversation!

Blog Entries

My take on these rods is a bit different. Yes, there are most certainly better rods out there but these rods are a wee bit of history. As was mentioned, these were imported from Japan by the thousands after WWII. When guys like my Dad wanted to go fishing, they went to the hardware store, plopped down $3.50 and had a rod to fish with. Kind of like going to Walmart and throwing down $20 for a spinning combo for the grandkids to fish with or for you to fish with on the spur of the moment. Regardless of the prevailing opinions on these rods, millions of fish were caught on them and millions of hours were spent on the stream with them. The fish didn't care. They still don't care.

I love these rods because you can change the wrap color if you want without damaging the value of the rod. You can change the reel seat or grip. You are not restricted to puritanical restoration. I think they are fun to fish with, as well.

Are they worth rebuilding? I think yes. I enjoy working on them and think of all the fun that was had with them in years past and all the fun that they will be ready for when I am finished.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

awesome, and bummer lol, thanks guys.... the wealth of knowledge always amazes me on this site.
    kbproctor- wanna mess with it? i would gladly send it your way if u would be interested in restoring it, (ps,i prefer the barter system )
    spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

If I ever saw one for sale, I'd snap it up. It ain't a Leonard, but it's still history.

+ Reply to Thread