+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will it ever get old ??

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Will it ever get old ??

A couple days ago, I was having a cup of coffee at one of our local shops. I was thinking about fishing the day before on a Northern Idaho freestone stream that has been regularly giving up good numbers of fat, healthy, beautiful West Slope cutthroat to large dry flies.

The sight of a cutthroat trout rising through crystal clear water to take ( or even refuse ) a dry fly is one of the great sights in fly angling. Some will hit the fly very aggressively, but more often the rise and the take have something of a casual quality. And in the water I've been fishing, the norm is to see the fish coming to the fly from some distance, often off the bottom of the river, before they get to the fly. Only when the light and water surface conditions obscure subsurface movement, is the take a surprise.

I was thinking about the last fish of the day, about the clear, deep blue sky, the green forest rising up and away from the banks of the river, the jumble of boulders at streamside, the bluegreen surface of the crystal clear water, the large salmonfly pattern drifting down through the pocket just above a partially submerged log, and the movement of the cutthroat well before and as he hit the fly.

That's when it occurred to me.

Will it ever get old ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Nahhh ... WE will, but, that won't!!! <admittedly, it does keep us from getting old too quickly!)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm 58, John, and I still get that thrill and feeling of contentment. It's so addictive, like a drug, that's why we're hooked. Continue the enjoyment, buddy.
    Bruce

I hope not!!

Tim

Like Betty said.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I don't fish enough to get jaded
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

No....there is something about the connection between a rising fish, and a fisherman, that remains. It's a hook that can't be shaken. You may take it into the backing and downstream quite a ways....but somehow it always seems to reel you back in.

+ Reply to Thread