+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Al Campbell memory

Default Al Campbell memory

My wife and I got out for some crappie fishing on mother's day. I was fishing an Al Campbell pattern - crappie candy. It made me think back to meeting Al at the Rapid City Scheels store in the late 1990s. I had recently moved to SD and quickly discovered the fishing in the black hills. Al was a big help to me in getting started fishing in the hills. I love his fly patterns - typically very simple to tie and very effective at catching fish. His fly tying tutorial on FAOL is an outstanding resource. Thanks Al!

I've been using his Foam Hopper for years; it'll always have a spot in my box.

Regards,
    Scott

I used Al's tutorial to teach me how to tie flies. What a wonderful addiction he gave me. I had the pleasure of meeting Al at one of the Idaho Fish-Ins. He was a wealth of information, and ready to share knowledge at the drop of a hat. I was fortunate enough to be able to sit at his vise and tie a fly. He showed me how easy it is to tie a SHWAPF and then gave the fly to me. I'll never get that fly wet, and I'll never tie one as good as his. As good as he was at tying flies, his photograph skills were equally impressive. Some of the best pictures on FAOL can be attributed to him. He is, and was, a big reason why FAOL is such a success. I miss him.
    Last edited by Lotech; 05-16-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: If it isn't spelling, it's grammar.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I got into tying years ago when I was a kid, but I didnt get serious til about 7 years ago when I started to read Al's tying tutorials. Thanks Al, the world is a lesser place without you. I learned a multitude of things.

I discovered Al's tying series back in 2001. I emailed him regarding some questions I had and to my surpise he replied back. Right then and there I joined FAOL. I enjoyed many an email conversations with Al. Great guy always willing to give. Some of my favorite flies to tie are those listed in Al's tying series. I especially enjoy tying and fishing the SHWAPF. I consider myself very fortunate for having known Al through the bb and emails. I wish I had the opportunity to have met him in person. Thanks Al!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I just checked in while taking a break from tying ants for a swap with a friend at a Gathering of the Clan next week, so tying was much on my mind when I opened this thread. Al's instructions were a huge help to me as I took up this hobby and he occasionally e-mailed me with great advice when I ran into a problem. When I think of him working a paid job, contributing as much he did to FAOL, doing major home improvement projects, tying and fishing, and still finding time to help a newbie tyer like me, I still have to shake my head in wonder.

I regret I never had a chance to meet him in person, and find it strange that I miss a guy so much that I only met in cyberspace. He was an amazing guy and a great man. The Lord took him home far too soon, but must have had a reason.

+ Reply to Thread