Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
Keep in mind that if I am PhD candidate "Dewey Reed" in grad school and I can change the name or genus etc... of a species in my area of study, I have the subject of my thesis. After I defend my thesis and complete all of the other requirements, I become Dr. Dewey Reed (work it out phonetically). If I have no great ambition in life, I can pursue a associate or assistant professorship at Directional State University. (You know what "directional schools" are, they are the smaller and usually less prestigious schools in the states' university systems. They are school like North Central Pollyanna State University.) From there, I can spend the reset of my life making a modest but easy living, researching topics that interest me, and flirting with college students. The changes in taxonomy have been going on since before I was in school.

Ed
Right on the money except for the money. You didn't mention the part about sucking money from the public to pay for your research of frivolous subjects that nobody really cares about. Let me see, how much was spent a few years ago on the sex life of five spotted lady bugs?