A couple days ago, I was having a cup of coffee at one of our local shops. I was thinking about fishing the day before on a Northern Idaho freestone stream that has been regularly giving up good numbers of fat, healthy, beautiful West Slope cutthroat to large dry flies.

The sight of a cutthroat trout rising through crystal clear water to take ( or even refuse ) a dry fly is one of the great sights in fly angling. Some will hit the fly very aggressively, but more often the rise and the take have something of a casual quality. And in the water I've been fishing, the norm is to see the fish coming to the fly from some distance, often off the bottom of the river, before they get to the fly. Only when the light and water surface conditions obscure subsurface movement, is the take a surprise.

I was thinking about the last fish of the day, about the clear, deep blue sky, the green forest rising up and away from the banks of the river, the jumble of boulders at streamside, the bluegreen surface of the crystal clear water, the large salmonfly pattern drifting down through the pocket just above a partially submerged log, and the movement of the cutthroat well before and as he hit the fly.

That's when it occurred to me.

Will it ever get old ??

John