+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasol Nymphs

Hybrid View

Default Parasol Nymphs

As an alternative to unweighted nymphs, has anyone tried Parasol Nymphs?
    A lot probably have, but I thought I'd ask.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

AlanB Guest

Used them a few times. The one memory that persists was a bow wave running 10 feet across a still pool ending in the parasol disappearing. The caddis pupa was only about 3/4 or an inch below the parasol but the fish didn't break the surface. I took quite a few fish on them that day.

When I tie them I like to use a flexible post to the parasol. Then the fly can move more in the current. Many are tied with a stiff post made of monofilament. I'm not so keen on these. Though I can't say for sure if the soft post really makes a difference.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    There's a FOTW article some time back by Kelly Glissmeyer on parasols. He's a really good fly tier, and a really good fisherman, and he really likes them.

Personally, I haven't tied or tried them. I prefer to just trail the unweighted nymph off a dry fly of the same "hatch." That gives the fishy two options for dining out.

John

P.S. Here's a link to Kelly's approach.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20101108.php

John, be honest about that pattern. If that fly had rubber legs you'd be all over it.
    I'm thinking about modifying a Rat-faced McDougall to include ruber legs. I think it might have worked well on my last trip to the Duck. It might work well on my next trip out.

Ed

Have used James Ferrin's Drymerger (aka "Dandelion fly") in the past with good effect in still waters. This pattern is tied with an antron or polypropylene post. While they can be used in similar situations, I don't really see these sorts of emergers as an alternative to an unweighted nymph, but more like a variant of the dry fly.

I have tried the Parasol, Piggy-back emergers and gave them up, although I think the concept is excellent. My problem was finding the best/correct material and length for the 'post' between the 'bobber' and the fly. If the post was too long or too soft, the 'bobber' ended up tangled in the tippet.
    I have since moved to the Umbrella style when an emerger that is more submerged than a Usual, or Klinkhammer, is needed. At the end of March on Penn's Creek (that really hot weekend), when Hendricksons and little Black Stones were hatching, the fish were not taking flies from the surface. Only the Umbrella worked that Saturday. The Umbrella is like the Dandelion although the posts come from the middle of the thorax - and probably are not as long/tall.
    Last edited by Greg H; 05-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.

I have had an interest in all things 'emerger' for a long time.
    Among my favourite books are W H Lawrie's 'Book of the Rough Stream Nymph' (1947) and
    'Border River Angling' (1939), in which he proposed one of the earliest Emerger Patterns which
    he called a 'Hatching Dun'.
    If anyone can give me a source for the 'Dandelion', I would be obliged.
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 05-14-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald, here are two Dandelion images from the web.
    http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=JF004
    http://hipwader.com/2003/dandelion-fly-pattern

However, if you are facinated by emergers, then you should purchase this book. Cost is $45US, but it is worth every penny. This one Dandelion 1.jpgis on page 190 and is my preferred 'sunk' emerger - as mentioned in previous post.
    Last edited by Greg H; 05-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.

I hadn't heard about parasols before. They're an example of thinking outside the box, for sure:

Not sure if I think this box is cool, or gruesome, Sandy.

The fish are always right.

I've never gotten the point of the Dandelion or Parasol.

Strikes me as a solution in need of a problem. What does it solve that hanging a nymph 2"" below a dry or one of those little foam stick-on nidicators doesn't handle?

+ Reply to Thread