Sandy ( Pittendrigh ) has posted a number of "soft body" nymphs and described the advantages of these flies he has noticed over the years compared more traditional nymph patterns. The image that sticks most with me is a trout, given enough slack in the line, swimming some distance ( up to 20' ) chewing on these flies rather than spitting them quickly.

I've recently had a simillar experience with the experimental "straight pin" version of the FEB salmonfly.

Except for the 3/4" straight pin on which the fly is tied and which is pretty much enveloped in foam, the fly consists of a soft antron furled extended body, foam, centipede ( rubber ) legs, and deer hair.

What I have noticed is that trouts quite often react very slowly after eating the fly, taking it several feet deep if given the chance, and often only giving it up when it is pulled hard enough to physically pull it away from them. One trout held tight enough that he broke off a 5X tippet ( although it may be that the pin became lodged in his mouth somehow and actually "hooked" him ) after taking it deep.

Just something to keep in mind when designing flies, nymphs or dries.

John