+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been tying on this one for a year now

Default Been tying on this one for a year now

This one's been a long time coming. Building the tried and true and well known and what you've already done ten times before is one thing. But a new design this radically different takes time. At each one of a thousand steps you have to stop, scratch your head and figure out what comes next.

Ok. It's not a fly. It's a decked one-man white water rowing dory. That should be good to fish out of too. This is off topic. Way off topic. But I thought you might like seeing it here anyway. This little boat is light as a feather. It's all ultra-lightweight honeycomb core and hand layed fiberglass. I haven't weighed it yet (can't seem to find my 500lb scale). But (without anchor and oarlocks) it should be about 100lbs. Maybe less.

That's about thirty pounds heavier than a small pontoon boat. But this is a big boat, with man-sized oars. Should row circles around a pontoon.
    Sunday I'll find out. Fits (sort of sideways and tilted) in the back of a pickup too. So the trailer won't be necessary. I made it this big so I can put a 90cc dirt bike behind me. So I don't have to decide in advance where I want to take out. I've got a whole retirement planned around this little hot rod.

This boat needs a name. Water Boatman? Curlew? What?
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 05-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.

How about "The Happy Hooker"! LOL
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

What about "Halford's Desire"? Because, no matter what you fish, this one you always want on top!

Regardless of what you call it, do keep us posted as you test drive it.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 05-11-2012 at 03:58 AM.
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    How about "The Happy Hooker"! LOL
    LOL that is hilarious! LOL

you should call it "White Cap" (just looks like it would fit)
    after you get is out on the water, take a couple of pictures, im curious to see where the water line is going to fall.... im gonna say 2-3 inches below the side, 4-6 inches back from the oars... if im right, you may want to, "float light," if u catch my drift...*lol, no pun intended lol* (not bashing the design, i actually kinda like it )

i am kinda jealous, i have been saving up for this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Canoes-Kayaks-Small-Boats/Pontoons%7C/pc/104794380/c/104710680/sc/104508180/Classic-Accessories-Bozeman-Backpackable-Pontoon-Boat/1315101.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboat ing-canoes-kayaks-small-boats-pontoons%2F_%2FN-1100576%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104508180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 94380%253Bcat104710680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380% 3Bcat104710680%3Bcat104508180

i
    m probably not going to buy it at Cabelas mind u lol.... the only down fall, 1 person.... now i just have to convince my buddy to get one.... lol
    either way, congrats, fiberglass is a pain to work with..... look damn good to me!!

sincerely,
    spoof

PS- what kind of water are u going to mainly be fishing? (river, lake, bay... choppy, glass, current?)
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

spoof85,

It was either "The Happy Hooker" or "Just A Local Hooker" LOL - I like them both....

It is a shame you do not live closer because I have a Hobie Cat 75 that I would make you a great deal on. No pump needed. I have not used it in over 3 years since purchasing my NuCanoe and now have a NuCanoe Frontier 12 that I love.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Let us know how it performs.

I think I recognize some serious cobra (?) oarlocks. But I don't recall ever seeing an anchor like that one!

Interesting design. Being made out of light weight materials, I wonder how it will hold up to rocks. Kind of toungue in cheek name could be Floatsom

Nice work, thanks for sharing and please let us know how it performs on the water for you.

Jim Smith

Many people talk of retiring to a rocking chair, I think Sandy just designed his rocking chair a little different than most of the others. How about "Sandy's Rocker" or "Off my Rocker."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

That's awesome! How about "Water Skipper"? It'll look like one with the oars out.

Off my rocker I like a lot.

+ Reply to Thread