Thread: Been tying on this one for a year now

Threaded View

Default Been tying on this one for a year now

This one's been a long time coming. Building the tried and true and well known and what you've already done ten times before is one thing. But a new design this radically different takes time. At each one of a thousand steps you have to stop, scratch your head and figure out what comes next.

Ok. It's not a fly. It's a decked one-man white water rowing dory. That should be good to fish out of too. This is off topic. Way off topic. But I thought you might like seeing it here anyway. This little boat is light as a feather. It's all ultra-lightweight honeycomb core and hand layed fiberglass. I haven't weighed it yet (can't seem to find my 500lb scale). But (without anchor and oarlocks) it should be about 100lbs. Maybe less.

That's about thirty pounds heavier than a small pontoon boat. But this is a big boat, with man-sized oars. Should row circles around a pontoon.
    Sunday I'll find out. Fits (sort of sideways and tilted) in the back of a pickup too. So the trailer won't be necessary. I made it this big so I can put a 90cc dirt bike behind me. So I don't have to decide in advance where I want to take out. I've got a whole retirement planned around this little hot rod.

This boat needs a name. Water Boatman? Curlew? What?
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 05-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.