Thread: What good is it?

Threaded View

Default What good is it?

This is a substantially new way to make a nymph. And I did catch a few fish on these yesterday. That's not to say I caught any more or less than I would have on something else. Truly new patterns take a season or more to evaluate with confidence. But a fish in hand does say something.

This fly is tied on a beading needle, on top of a length of Spanflex rubberleg material, with a 1" or so rubberleg tag extending forward. Slid off the needle. Threaded the rubberleg tag into a bead. Tied the tag end of the rubberleg onto a scud hook and trimmed it off. This one is approximately the size of a #14 or #16 Hare's ear. The easiest fly to tie I know is a simple soft hackle, with what ever generic body you want to make. A simple soft hackle is not only the easiest of all flies to tie it is--at times--one of the most effective too. Fast easy and effective is hard to argue with.

So I'm not sure there is any argument or benefit to tying a nymph this way. Not yet anyway. This is still just an experiment. But it does catch fish. And it is a substantially new way to tie. For what ever that's worth.

Rubber Dub
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 05-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.