+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a new landing net

Hybrid View

Default Looking for a new landing net

I have used a 'normal' landing net for the last number of years, with the black mesh bag. The bag is OK for protecting the fish, but snags the flies. After this time the laminations are getting loose on the hoop. Not unexpected at the price.
    I am looking at the Brodin. I really like the quality and material of the bag. Since I am in Canada and will be buying online, imports attract extra duties and taxes, so if importing from the US I need one that costs about $60-$65. Any other suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

For an inexpensive, but very functional net, I'd recommend the MeasureNet (http://www.themeasurenet.com/). They offer an option for a rubber mesh bag.

There was a discussion on nets last month; maybe you could find something to your liking here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...inions-on-nets

Regards,
    Scott

I think rubber bagged nets are in a class of their own, for the reasons you mention and more. While there are a variety of good brands, I think the best kept secret out there is the fact that Brodin sells the Ghost net bags alone for you to install on your own frame. They're only about $25 on average and a piece of cake to string onto your existing frame. (I've put two on myself). Great way to get all the benefits of a new rubber-bagged net without spending $100 or more.

http://www.brodin.com/Ghost_Bags.html

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    I think rubber bagged nets are in a class of their own, for the reasons you mention and more. While there are a variety of good brands, I think the best kept secret out there is the fact that Brodin sells the Ghost net bags alone for you to install on your own frame. They're only about $25 on average and a piece of cake to string onto your existing frame. (I've put two on myself). Great way to get all the benefits of a new rubber-bagged net without spending $100 or more.

http://www.brodin.com/Ghost_Bags.html
    John,

Thanks for the link, that does look easy. I've got an old net that my wife found at a yard sale that would be a perfect guinea pig.

Regards,
    Scott

I've been using the "Measure Net" with the extendable handle for a few years now and I do really like it. When fishing on the stream or river, I leave the handle short. When fishing from my pontoon boat or jon boat I extend the handle. I've given some consideration to the rubberized net but find that with my aging shoulders the added weight is a problem. Especially if the handle is extended. If you are using barbless hooks, fly removal with the nylon mesh bag is not a problem. However, the rubber bag would be easier on the fish. It all depends on your preferences and needs, but the extendable handle is really a very nice feature.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread