+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southwest members. Thinking inside the box?

Hybrid View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Southwest members. Thinking inside the box?

The Pacific Northwest, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kansas all have fish-in's as do Montana and Idaho. So I was thinking that it's time for those of us from the southwest to start kicking around some destinations a little closer to our homes. A place many of us could get to without a two day drive, burning off a hundred gallons of fuel or enlisting a co-driver.

Just as a starting point, the area contained in this box would offer many cold, warm and saltwater venues to fish and they are within reasonable travel distances for a major portion of the population based in the surrounding southwestern states. It's your trip to plan and I'm personally open to most anything that takes into the account reasonable costs, distances and time expenditures. So how about it, do you have some ideas you'd like to kick around or should we just continue to do our own things?

It's up to us to make it happen.
    Dave

Map: http://www.united-states-map.com/road/usroad12.gif

B.T.W. I could not find a way to post this to the Fish-In?s section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave E; 05-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.

What're you thinkin'? Where you westsloping from? I am in Woodland, near Sac.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

HERE...almost smack dab in the center...

...a few clicks South of Reno, NV...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Hmmm, having grown up in So. Calif. I can think of a lot of places. Salt Water Bonita, San Diego Lakes for Warm Water, Eastern Sierras for trout, along with those already mentioned - Lees Ferry, Reno area, etc., etc.

I think I'll wait and see what comes up. The potential is exciting to say the least.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Hi Guys,

" What am I thinking? "
    There's no grand plan at work here, my thought was that we'll see a correlation between the venue submissions and what type of fishing ( species and water types ) that the greatest number of our members are up for. From there, the group could whittle down the submissions by viability. My only concern is, that we take into account the varying time and financial constraints of all who would be interested in attending.

Here's a question for everyone. Are you open to, or more inclined to camping ( RV or tent ), traditional motel/hotel/resort lodging, shared house / condo rental?
    My guess is, if the idea of a southwest fish-in, fish-out, Fish-On! - draws enough interest, we'll be looking at areas that offer all the above.

I'm home in the central Sierras mostly between the Carson's to the south, Portola to the north and west and east to the valley floors. While the fisheries here are many and well known, the area isn't centrally located for the majority of our Southwest members. The south-eastern Sierra probably would be easier to reach for a large number of members.

I'd still like to hear more about north western Arizona, South and Western Utah and Nevada. I carry annual licenses for California and Nevada, but my Nevada angling is pretty much limited to the North and Northwestern waters.

I'll likely be down on the San Juan for the better part of a week sometime in July and then pop up into Colorado for a bit.
    Let's keep the flow of ideas and questions going.

Thanks, Dave

Hey Goduster - " I like it ".,

I took a look at the video, gotta' love sight fishing in the shallows.

A while back Wendy was interviewed by ask about fly fishing's D. Roger Maves, the topic of the show was Lee's Ferry. She gave out a lot of good, where to, when to and how to info during that interview. It's a great primer on Lee's Ferry for first time visitors. You can google up Wendy Gunn and Askaboutflyfishing to hear her interview.

+ Reply to Thread