+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May the Fourth Be with You... on the Duck

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default May the Fourth Be with You... on the Duck

Met Jack, Warren, and a co-worker to fish the Duck River below Normandy Dam in southern Middle Tennessee on Friday. Weather was warm with intermittent clods, er... clouds. The release rate from the dam was only about 45 cfs (cubic feet per second), about a third of normal. The water level was down about 2 feet from what we are used to. For all that, the water was quite chilly. I won't go into my dismal performance except to say that I avoided The Skunk by the merest (4" bluegill) of margins. Foam spiders were what the fish wanted. I didn't have any and didn't have the heart to take Warren's last one, which probably would have ended up in a tree anyway. It is interesting to note that the Ghost of Charlie, the fly-eating tree scored again. Actually the remnant stump managed to catch a fly. The liberal garland of poison ivy made fly retrieval an interesting proposition. Forceps played a heroic role in the rescue. I also managed to kick a turtle that was lounging in the mud. He swam over to the shore to see just what had so vilely disturbed him. I tender my apologies to the turtle. I lost a pair of cheaters and got a mild sunburn because I had forgotten to take a hat. It was not a stellar day in the performance category, but I have a ball and I am truly glad that I went. I'm still a little boy at heart and getting to play in the water and see snakes and turtles and fish makes me happy.

I expect that Jack and Warren will chip in and provide further details, if they weren't too busy releasing large 'gills to notice anything else. I managed to remove a large, loose hook from the streambed in an area where children wade and swim. Later, from the same area, I removed a large spinnerbait with a very large, stainless steel hook. That's the advantage of waders over chucking hardware from the bank, we can find and remove that sort of debris.

I find myself in a very cheerful mood after a day in the river. I wish you all well.

Ed

Blog Entries

Just a note, the fly that worked for me was an Invicta. I tied it using Denny's JV Rooster hackle. I have to say that I haven't seen anything better than that for a host of wet fly patterns.

Ed

Ed,

I took a disabled vet wade fishing below the Fisherman's Park in Shelbyville yesterday and we had a good time. Caught several bluegill, black perch and smallmouth bass. Used an orange sponge spider and had a blast catching fish on the surface. Today we had a group of disabled vets and fished the same water that you fished when you were here. Many bluegill caught on the sponge spider and a good time was had by all. You need to make the trip again soon.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I agree. This weekend is out, for obvious reasons. Maybe next weekend, maybe. (Maybe there will be enough rain to fill the lake and create some release.)

Ed

Ed,

I will be leaving this Wednesday morning for the TroutFest in Townsend and will not return until one week from this Sunday. If you make the trip while I am gone, be sure to let me know where you went and how you did.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread