Thread: over-lining a rod, or how to turn a 6wt into an 8wt?

Threaded View

I'll jump in here, as I've already fired hundreds of casts off with a 350 on a 9 to stripers this year and will be doing so for the next 4 days. The shooting head is 30' , shorter than what is usually the criteria for line weight. It's predicated on being able to limit false casts and shoot the line using a double haul. Without good double haul technique, any shooting head/running/line is going to fail. In a pinch, I've used a 350 on a 6 and up to 12. You adjust linespeed to suit the rod. That shooting line is a bit thick. If you want to have ease in handling the line and aren't trying to shoot 80'+ then it would be OK. If you want to have ease in casting some distance, I'd look into Rio Slickshooter or Froghair shooting line in the .025 to .035 range. One of the integrated lines are usually easier to handle for someone new to saltwater, as the running line is balanced with the head by the company product developers rather than hit or miss. The advantage of a head/line system is, by using a loop to loop connection you can change heads and switch to a faster sinking one , which in my opinion, is usually what is more efficient for stripers. Just be careful in a blitz. If you strip the knots in past your line hand and get bit, the knots rip back out through your fingers and can get bloody. Generally bring the the head inside the guides-rollcast the head out of the guides -pick up and backcast-shoot the line on the forward stroke. Coated running lines tend to have less memory than the solid mono lines, and take a little less prep work and care in handling. I hope this helps a little , I've been throwing these rigs for decades at stripes and my forum namesake. There are many ways to skin the cat, good casting technique evens out the field quite a bit.

Charlie
    Last edited by bluefish; 05-09-2012 at 11:27 AM.