+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FROM BEHIND GLASS - Whip Finish - May 7, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FROM BEHIND GLASS - Whip Finish - May 7, 2012

FROM BEHIND GLASS

This past Spring I had the opportunity to fish a piece of water that I had not been on in 19 years. While visiting the family home in Central Pennsylvania for my nephew's graduation, as any fly fisherman would do in the month of May, I had come prepared to take advantage of expected good water. I planned to fish the Twin Bridges section of Huntington Creek near the town of Stillwater. The stream is near where I grew up, and the last time I had fished that particular stretch was with my Dad in 1989 prior to his passing. I intended to get on the water early since the day's events would consume my afternoon.
    Last edited by rtidd; 05-06-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Great piece Ralph. Thanks for submitting it. I'm reminded of the first time I took Dad's rod & reel fishing after his passing in 1999. I wasn't fly fishing, but trolling heavy pop-gear for trout. I was fishing Silver Lake, a lake that was one of our favorite places to fish when I was much younger. I trolled over a submerges island and hooked and landed an 18-20 inch Brown Trout. Dad used to call them Loch Lavens. When I landed the fish, I said out loud, "How's that Dad?" Then I heard his voice say, "That's good son, do it again." So I turned the boat around and trolled back over the same submerged island. This time I hooked and landed another fish. This one was a cookie cutter of the first, but a Rainbow this time. This time I said out loud, "That's enough Dad, I'm going home." Then I heard him say, "You done good."
    Thank you Mr. Long, for the tear in my eye, and the very pleasant memory of pleasing my Dad.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Glass Fly Rods are great, specially for the larger fish, same applies to the Cortland Sylk Fly Lines.

My 7 weight Cortland Sylk Fly Line, is the the same diameter as my 4 weight graphite fly rod...

~Parnelli

PS:
    There is no rule that says that you cannot use a fly rod for trolling on lakes from a boat!
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread