+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to go?

Hybrid View

Default Where to go?

Taking some time off next month and was wondering where to go fishing. Requirements are; fly fishing, saltwater, from the shore and somewhere between North Carolina and the keys. Might get a guide if I can afford it. I've done a little surfing on the net and $600 a day is a little steep for me. I know they gotta make a living but my kids have a bad habit- they like to eat.* Im not too picky about type of fish, just want to catch some. Ive saltwater fished before just not saltwater flyfished. Planning on fishing everyday for little over a week.* So, where should I go? Any suggestions would be great.

Help me catch a fish,
    Gary

Go to one of the prettiest cities in the country (OK, I'm biased) - Sarasota, FL.
    Cultural sites galore for the family, SW fishing around every corner. Sarasota Bay, other waters are easy to access and kayak rentals will put you where you want to go at a reasonable price. Snook fishing on the beaches is free. There are no bad areas of Sarasota Bay. Rentals in summer are cheap, cheap!
    Take 7 or 8 wt rods, sink tip lines in Types I and III and Clousers in 1's and 2's. Something neutrally buoyant for the snook in close to the sand.

I believe Steve Gibson who used to be here on the board guides out of Sarasota.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

He does indeed. Guides out of kayaks, spin or fly. One of the best redfish guides down there, and used to be Outdoor Editor of our paper. Didn't know he'd been on FAOL.
    His business, I believe, is called Southern Drawl Guide service. Or just Google him; he'll show up in a lot of places.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Crash13 .... go here!!! http://www.bonefishwhisperer.com/rates/ Blue collar bonefishing at its best!! Tell him GILS_GONE_WILD sent ya, I might even get a T-shirt out of the deal!!!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

That looks like a great set up, and very reasonable prices. Some lovely fish in the picture gallery as well.
    All the best.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread