Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
Those numbers may not have anything to do with where the Fish-Ins are posted. It is more likely the economy, especially $3.50+ per gallon gas that is causing the drop in attendance. IMHO.
No not really. Lets back up a few years. We had gas hitting $5 a gallon. I remember that I needed to take a loan to fill my tank... WEll thats a little stretch but It was higher then. Anyway, we had 26 people that year. Overflowing was the word. We also had people traveling from Md,NY, and Va to see us. In the 7 years that I have had anything to do with the PA Fish-In, this is the lowest year to date. Now hopefully, we will have a few more show up. I've been with the PA Fish-In from the start. Dry Fly Guy set it up and I ran the food. That year, most of the participants were local to me but we still had Empeekay and his son show up from Md. Good year,as was all the others.
Now I westle with the problems myself as I do the set-up,food, payments,collections, and basically try to keep everything flowing for all that show up. It doesn't matter where you stay or for how long. Everyone that has come to the location was well treated and always had good words to say. All Fish-In's are unique in it's own right. Some use a hotels. camgrounds,etc==whatever works for that location. Anyone that assists with a Fish-In knows it's not easy.
I worry what will become of future Fish-Ins and I'm searching for the right answers to keep it flowing. OR, did it run it's course? Not sure. Did I make some mistakes in the past that caused this? I don't know. Believe me, I've made mistakes with each Fish-In. I'm not that self centered to feel that the Fish - In is all me either. Actually, call it what ever you want. It's all about fishing with others and the comroderie that goes with it. This board has helped to get the word out so I'm grateful for that. Some of the fun was the trading of barbs with one another before and after the trip. Memories are made to share with friends. We do that. In fact, each and every trip, the older members---will rehash each and every one. We all remember the camera story, the high water story, the moosey and Uncle Ed, the bears in the back yard, the tree damage, the bird in the grill,etc .
I guess we remember the memories but we--I--want to keep making new ones. Well, I guess that's it, I want to keep making new memories and thats why I search for answers on how to keep the Fish-Ins going.....

Randy