+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish - ins

Hybrid View

Default Fish - ins

Would like some opinions on the "Fish - In" Forum. Do you feel that putting anouncements for Fish - In's into it's own forum has had a positive or negative effect on possible attendance?

Jack
    You can make your own opinions but here are some facts

Pa Fish-In 2011--10,000 + views- seperate from the pics
    Pa Fish-In 2010--18,000 + views-this includes all of the pics after the Fish-In

Pa-Fish-In 2012--3800 views and its 2 weeks away.

Fish-In 2010 had 24 members
    Fish-In 2011 has 21 members

Fish-In 2012 numbers so far---12

Randy
    Last edited by Bigdadyrods; 05-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.

If I was in a position that I could afford more fish-ins, I would be on the forum daily.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Seems like the "only" Fish-In that lacks volume of "interest" is the MIFI. For that reason alone, I would like to see , and not have discouraged, comments about it posted on a more obvious forum. The MIFI is in a bit of a "can't get there from here" location and coupled with the socio economics of the area in general does temper the attendance.

Mark

I have been to all of the MI-FIs except maybe the first one; that being said, I didn't even know there was a sign-up place until I asked. Even then I couldn't find it until Bro Jack took me by the nose and led me there. I agree with keeping it on the front burner-front board...never have liked the Fish-In ghetto, anyway.

Being in Arizona all the Fish-ins are a bit of a drive. But I still find myself looking at that forum quite often. One of these days I will take the time off to drive to either Idaho or Kansas (more likely Kansas - love that warm water). They are both on my bucket list!!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The MIFI is in a bit of a "can't get there from here" location and coupled with the socio economics of the area in general does temper the attendance.

Mark
    Mark

What in Allah's name are you talking about? Gates Lodge is one of, if not THE premier fishing lodges in the Eastern US. Located within steps of the Ausable's famed Holy Waters. There are more trout streams in a 30 mile radius that one person could fish in a lifetime. You are less than 7 miles away from Grayling with 4 or more motels, restaurants, fly shops, grocery stores, etc. Campgrounds are plentiful in the area also.

Where would you suggest that a Fish In be held? Downtown Detroit? Chicago? I know,after a long day of fishing the Chicago River, we could eat at a five star restaurant, catch a show, and then have a latte before turning in at the hotel on Michigan Ave. Fish Ins are held where the fish are!

I take it you have never been to the Idaho Fish IN. Talk about getting there from here? You are in the middle of no where. No cell service. No Starbucks. It is ALL about the fishing....well, and the social activites AFTER fishing.

Remember, all it takes for a Fish In to happen is somone to be motavated to start one. That could be you!

As for the low numbers at the MI FI, it is what it is. The dates were picked to try and time the HEX hatch. Earlier in the year, Gates is booked solid. Much later in the year and the fishing is very tough during the daylight hours and one must resort to night time fishing. Most people(including me) do not like that. It seems that everyone always has excuses as to why they can't or will not attend, and that is fine. As for me, I will be attending until this fat old body says na, baby, na. If it turns into a one man Fish In, then so be it.

Stepping off of my soap box now...

Brad
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 05-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Huzzah! Huzzah!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Those numbers may not have anything to do with where the Fish-Ins are posted. It is more likely the economy, especially $3.50+ per gallon gas that is causing the drop in attendance. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdadyrods View Post
    Jack
    You can make your own opinions but here are some facts

Pa Fish-In 2011--10,000 + views- seperate from the pics
    Pa Fish-In 2010--18,000 + views-this includes all of the pics after the Fish-In

Pa-Fish-In 2012--3800 views and its 2 weeks away.

Fish-In 2010 had 24 members
    Fish-In 2011 has 21 members

Fish-In 2012 numbers so far---12

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Those numbers may not have anything to do with where the Fish-Ins are posted. It is more likely the economy, especially $3.50+ per gallon gas that is causing the drop in attendance. IMHO.
    No not really. Lets back up a few years. We had gas hitting $5 a gallon. I remember that I needed to take a loan to fill my tank... WEll thats a little stretch but It was higher then. Anyway, we had 26 people that year. Overflowing was the word. We also had people traveling from Md,NY, and Va to see us. In the 7 years that I have had anything to do with the PA Fish-In, this is the lowest year to date. Now hopefully, we will have a few more show up. I've been with the PA Fish-In from the start. Dry Fly Guy set it up and I ran the food. That year, most of the participants were local to me but we still had Empeekay and his son show up from Md. Good year,as was all the others.
    Now I westle with the problems myself as I do the set-up,food, payments,collections, and basically try to keep everything flowing for all that show up. It doesn't matter where you stay or for how long. Everyone that has come to the location was well treated and always had good words to say. All Fish-In's are unique in it's own right. Some use a hotels. camgrounds,etc==whatever works for that location. Anyone that assists with a Fish-In knows it's not easy.
    I worry what will become of future Fish-Ins and I'm searching for the right answers to keep it flowing. OR, did it run it's course? Not sure. Did I make some mistakes in the past that caused this? I don't know. Believe me, I've made mistakes with each Fish-In. I'm not that self centered to feel that the Fish - In is all me either. Actually, call it what ever you want. It's all about fishing with others and the comroderie that goes with it. This board has helped to get the word out so I'm grateful for that. Some of the fun was the trading of barbs with one another before and after the trip. Memories are made to share with friends. We do that. In fact, each and every trip, the older members---will rehash each and every one. We all remember the camera story, the high water story, the moosey and Uncle Ed, the bears in the back yard, the tree damage, the bird in the grill,etc .
    I guess we remember the memories but we--I--want to keep making new ones. Well, I guess that's it, I want to keep making new memories and thats why I search for answers on how to keep the Fish-Ins going.....

Randy

+ Reply to Thread