+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish - ins

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    How about just re-locating the FISH-IN page(dept. or whatever it's called) and placing it within the FAOL BB in the FAOL COMMUNITY section, below the Fly Anglers On Line page and above the Sound-Off page? I have no idea if this is an easy fix or not. Also, from my own perspective, if I were looking for 'Fish-In' information I don't think its present location is that difficult to find. However, I think this suggestion would make it much more visible.

Allan
    This seems like the best idea.

Mr. Chronicler,

Yes, you seem to have gotten the general gist of how the Fish-Ins came to be and such. You certainly had the best source. However, I'd like to add a few things from a purely historical POV. Now I believe I have the years right but I may be off by 1 year. The last 'official FAOL' Fish-In' in the east was held at the Delaware River Club in August , 2001. Great commraderie and fun but poor fishing due to the overly hot weather and water conditions. Some paricipants volunteered to hold an 'unofficial fish-in' the next year in the Catskills and chose Roscoe as the center location. As LadyFisher said, there was no FAOL involvement other than publicizing and using the site to communicate information. It was up to individuals to make their own arrangements, travel, arrange accommodations, make plans, etc. The one thing that FAOL wanted was a summary and photos for the site. No problem. This became known as the FAOL Catskill Fish-In and we had as many as 35 people attend. The event took place the following year and again in 2004. Unfortunately, at this last event, somethings were said in the communication between the site and the participants. That caused the end of the Fish-In. However, without using the name Fish-In, many participants met in subsequent years to continue the same activity. Meeting this year the last week in May.
    I have not editorialized the history just imparted actual information. My own opinion as to why the Fish-In or what has been continued in the Catskills has declined in participants is due to several things:
    1. Some of the participants are no longer with us, RIP.
    2. None of us are any younger.
    3. Cost is more of a concern, i.e. motel, gas, food.
    4. Some participants are finding that travel just seems longer and is more difficult.
    5. Some of us cannot get away for a week and traveling the distance isn't worth the days we can stay.
    6. Lastly, it appears that many of the the people who were actively involved with this site, i.e. writing article, posting comments and discussing various subjects, providing FOTW, participating in SWAPS, Hosting or just Chatting in the Chat Room, attending the Fish-In, at least the one I'm discussing, seem to have left this site or relegated their involvement to just 'lurking'.

Maybe it's the nature of this internet beast that people get involved quickly then traffic wanes. Maybe, along with some other factors, that's what's happened on this site(?). As I've stated, I think there are other things that have caused the Fish-Ins to slow down and I don't necessarily think the location of Fish-In information is the major concern. Maybe if the site itself got involved in something of an official nature it would help? Maybe getting in touch with people who were active 'back when' would help too?
    Maybe the site is satisfied with the status quo? I have no idea. I will say insofar as people trying to plan a gathering of sort, it's easy to find the Fish-In page and post your ideas. So use it and maybe you'll get a group together.

Allan

Hear is my view on our Fish Ins, and a request for help.
    Because I am blessed with having the Conranch Hackle, I am allowed to go all over the country and being allowed to fish different waters. I have attended numerous Fish Ins. Some were fantastic fishing. Some were not. I find for me it is not about the fishing but the get together. I do like to catch fish though. I think a lot has to do with where it is located. Is there enough room for all those that attend? Not only for fishing but staying together. Both Motel type of rooms but also camping. It is very difficult to have it all. If it is not comfortable a person will not come back.

Please allow me to use the Idaho Fish In as an example. After the first one there, hosted by Fishin Indian and enjoying everything so much, when I saw it was not going to be held there again, I asked JC & LF if I could Host a FI there for the next year. They supported me so I ran with it. I hosted with the help of REE & VEE for 5 years. I had the dream of adding a ladies only fly fishing to a Fish In, so as to encourage more women to attend. Vicky agreed to take charge of this addition. I believe it was 2007 when she and her following first got out on the water and was a successful program, as it is still today.
    Ron & Vicky hosted the Fish In up until this year. I understand Ron may attend to fish this year but understand he will not be hosting. I have had my turn at hosting so am wondering if there is anyone that might like to take over?? If not, Kenny & I from Conranch will Host again because this fish In is such a great gathering.

Here are a few URLS if you might like to check them out to see the History of this FI.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...2002/index.php First ID FI

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...ho06/index.php

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...7/ladies07.php First ladies

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...ho06/going.php 36 members

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac101303.php 2003 by Al C.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/arti.../ldy100305.php 05, announcing new Mich. FI for 2006

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...o07/wrapup.php Richard & Col. John & Cree skinning, 63 attended.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/even...p_20111024.php 10th aniv.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/arti.../cst100305.php Casting analyzer by JC

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc475.php Gnu Bee’s FI story

If you might be interested in Hosting this years FI at Lowell Idaho, please contact me, either by e-mail denny@conranch.com or phone me direct 509-999-7472

Keep watch on the Idaho FI section of the BB for all posts about this upcoming Fish In. Hope many of you can and will come.

Denny
    Denny

Allan,

Since the Ladyfisher is my wife and the originator of FAOL I suppose she is the best source for information about the Fish-Ins. I agree with several of your points about the Fish-Ins: some are no longer with us, JC, Al Campbell just to name a couple, those that are still around are beginning to show our age, costs are certainly a factor, time = money, and the changing Internet landscape.

I don't know what you are suggesting about 'the site' getting involved in something of an official nature. We are: getting older, are living on retirement income, and the time and distance = money. If previous participants know people that were active 'back then,' by all means they should get in contact with them.

Fish-Ins, casual get togethers, a weekend fishing trip with friends, these are all great things and we at FAOL encourage them. They are what makes any event special.

The Chronicler

Back is September of 2010 we had a "Gathering" in Townsend, TN (The quiet side of the Smoky's) and had a larger attendance than the Michignan or Idaho Fish - In's!
    Why? First it is one of the prettiest places in the US! There is more to do than just fish. Gigmiester provided some outstanding live entertainment. Some wanted to call it a Fish - In but we held our ground, it was to be a get togather of members and families with fishing available!
    This year the Ramada Inn in Pigeon Forge is offering 4 days 3 nights starting at $59.00 (That's for all 3 nights!!). Could this be the time for another "Gathering"? September when the colors are changing? The rivers are stocked and the C&R area in Cherokee is not too far away!
    The home of Dollywood with the "Eagle" Roller coaster!
    A weekend stay would be $99.00 for 3 nights, still cheap!

Just thinking that family inclusive events may be better recieved.

Since Jack brought up Townsend, TN, is anyone going to attend this year's TroutFest in Townsend. It is May 19th and 20th. I plan to leave for Townsend this coming Wednesday, May 16th, and returning home on Sunday, May 20th. Plan to fish Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and attend the TroutFest on Saturday and fish again Saturday afternoon. I will be staying at Dock's Motel which is on the banks of the Little River with private access for guests at Dock's Motel.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Wow!! Even the mere mention of going somewere to fish shut this thread down!!

I assure you that my excitement and anticipation of the Central Washington Fish-In (aka Linemender's Grins & Fins Gathering) is at an all time high. Due to removal of vacation time at my job, and subsequent forced retirement due to disability, I've been unable to attend any fish-ins for 4 years now. Hopefully, that will now change. And, like someone mentioned, while the fishing is important, it isn't as much about the fish as it is about friends.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Instead of visiting with my favorite people, I'll be visiting the dude with the Tazor, and the Vampire! How lucky can one gal get???
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that. Be assured that your friends will be thinking about you. We'll probably be talking about you, too! (I won't be at the Fish-In, but next time I hook up with Jack &/or Warren, we'll have to talk about our favorite Kansas Prairie Flower & Swamp Witch.) Are you still eating your Cheez-Its?

Ed

+ Reply to Thread