+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Product Review: Hobbs Creek Fly Line

Hybrid View

Default Product Review: Hobbs Creek Fly Line

Check out my review.

I love this line! But please, comment away. I am dying to know what I have to look forward to in a more expensive fly line.

-Tony
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Do you have enough backing on the reel? To help with the memory problem; before you fish, strip off the amount of line you think you will need and pull it through your hand with enough pressure that you can feel the heat. If you do this two or three times the coils should stay straightened out for the day. Include your monofilament leader in this stretching too.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I have no experience with the Hobbs Creek line but it's possible that the coiling issue is the result of line twists put into the line as part of the castIng process. Repeated roll casting to the same side as well as repetitively casts that to. It shoot all of the line that has been stripped off the reel will introduce twists into the line. So will some other types of casts. In many cases removing the twists from the line will eliminate the coils. Many the customers who come into the shop with complaints about coiled line actually just have accumulates a lot of twists. Upon removing them the line performs much better.

Of course some lines do have some memory and need to be stretched.

I posted it as a comment on your blog, but one think i will say, is when you store your fly line for long periods of time, take it off the reel and wrap it loosely around a 5 gallon paint bucket. It will fix a lot of memory issues.

I have that fly line on one of my entry level reels and just replaced it this year after 3 years. I had used it so much, that the part that was always in the water, was about 5 shades lighter than the part that rarely left the reel

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the memory issue. You get what you pay for.

Tony

Don't take these comments wrong but you asked for some honest comments and I'll just give you a few of my own.

You have used an entry level line but you haven't reviewed it with any others. This is like driving a Ford and saying this is the only car I will drive.....
    Most entry level line is just that--entry. Not all fly lines are created equal. Another thing you will find is that not all lines --within the same weight rating--will be the same weight. To be a #6 line,you can have one line weighing a few grams more than the next between manufacturers.
    Same goes for the slickness on the fly line itself. Some you will find are actually slightly rough to the touch. Some are so smooth,you hardly feel the line going thru your fingers.
    Also, what is the fly lines inner core made of? This goes a long way in the retention of those nasty coils.
    FWIW--I use,on occasion, entry level lines for doing some of my--dirty- fishing. Realy dirty waters and not casting far. Streams that are narrow and I'll be nymphing in dirty waters. I'll use some cheaper lines.
    When I'm out throwing a distance or on a bigger stream and I'll be dry flying, yes thats when I'll use my SA-GPX line for smooth,effortlessly casting. I'm not going to knock manufacturers but I'll tell you that some lines will just give you more distance and less effort getting that distance.
    I'll always tell people to buy the best line you can afford. To me--this is the most important item that I use that I get the most from---again, this is my opinion.
    Will I buy the $250 dollar silk line from Italy??? No way but I'll pay $50-$60 for good quality line any day. Will I buy the $10 stuff? Well, on occasion, I will to save my better lines from abuse.
    I feel I can get 200-250 hours out of a fly line before it starts going down hill. Then,it becomes a back-up line.
    Yea, I've heard this. "You spend way too much money on lines and have too many"... You only need one #5 line for your #5 rod. Well, I could be buying beer in a bar but I choose not to. I choose to buy several lines---and reels, to hold them. But thats my addiction...along with too many rods......Back to the fly line question

Getting those coils could be the reel, or it could be from cold weather, or it could be the twist in the line but you want to get the to bottom of that?
    What size reel to you have and does it have a small spool and line stored for a long time?
    Are we in weather thats really cold?
    Did you do a lot of false casting to give the line a twist?

Not knowing what your situation is and what you would be willing to spend is difficult but I would really invest in a better quality fly line first.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread