+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the point ...

Arrow Today's hatch ...

... of FEB Salmonflies - two regular pointy things and one "pointless" fly ( upper left ).

I don't plan to tie all my flies pointless, because there will be times when I do want to be able to land fishies, and because I do give away flies, and I wouldn't give a "pointless" one to someone who wanted to try the fly and also land fishies.

John

P.S. Tim - yeah, I do some of that kind of hunting.
    The fish are always right.

For years I have thought there might be a place for a telescopic sight set up on rifle.... set up with cross hairs and a camera ...get the prey in the scope ...cross hairs on a killing shot ...then click the picture...mount your trophy in a frame on the wall.

There is a method of hunting that could come close to kill and release. I have wondered why the no hunting cats with dogs regs couldn't be ...OK to hunt with dogs...tree the prey but make it illegal to kill...my understanding is that the thrill for the hunters is ...running their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    For years I have thought there might be a place for a telescopic sight set up on rifle.... set up with cross hairs and a camera ...get the prey in the scope ...cross hairs on a killing shot ...then click the picture...mount your trophy in a frame on the wall.
    WOW !! A whole new meaning to point and "shoot" cameras. Given today's technology, Tim, your idea is quite plausible. You could hunt any game any time of year regardless of any regulations. And next year, you could go back and get the same prey, only bigger.

John

Lightbulb Why snell ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Since most snags and breakoffs would be a thing of the past, a box of 50 Dai Riki 320s ($4.75 at Blue Quill Angler) should last a very long time, and they already have an eye. Snelling a straight pin sounds like more of a challenge (I'm already a "challenged" angler) than I'm willing to take.

Regards,
    Scott
    ... when a needle nosed pliers will form a nice "eye" at the pointed end of the pin in a couple seconds or so ??

And, you can control the set of the "eye", either up or down, horizontal or vertical, or any angle you prefer for any reason by how you position the pin in the vice.

The pins I have are a bit short, so I left off one set of legs. Two things - bet this fly will do as well as the "pointless" flies tied on TMC 2312 hooks, and I guarantee the mortality ( and landing ) will be zero percent.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... when a needle nosed pliers will form a nice "eye" at the pointed end of the pin in a couple seconds or so ??

And, you can control the set of the "eye", either up or down, horizontal or vertical, or any angle you prefer for any reason by how you position the pin in the vice.
    I've got a jeweler's vise, round-nose, chain-nose, just about any kind of plier you could name, but I also have a great pair of wire cutters that give me what I need in a second. Can't remember the last time I used an up-eye hook; think I still have about 10 boxes of them somewhere in the basement. If I ever did want an up eye I could just flip the shank over.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Tim -

Your post, if I'm reading it right, goes to scouting for your prey. Yeah, I've done that in the off season or during open season when conditions really were "unfishable."

It also reminds me of another question I've had for some time - if you don't have a "hook" capable of taking a fish, are you fishing in the legal sense of the regulations ?? When it was tough to come up with the bucks for a non-resident daily license in neighboring states, I wondered if I could fish with such a set up. But I think the Fish and Game enforcement officers would consider that "harassing" the fishies, which was against the regs in the states I was interested in fishing.

Food for thought.

John
    According to the CA DFG:
    1.80. Take.
    Hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks, crustaceans or invertebrates or attempting to do so.

Which is why you get busted if you continue to fish after keeping a limit...even if you release...you are attempting
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Just wanted to add my two cents on where I find the enjoyment and "point" of fly fishing. For me, it's "becoming the bug". I love clear (or only slightly hazy) water where I can see the fly, see the fish, and make the fly move and wiggle in such a way as to convince the fish that they might find it tasty. Largemouth, Crappie, or Rainbow Trout, if they hit the fly, that's victory for me.

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Default And the box score is ...

... straight pin version - 14 trouts

... "pointless" version - 6 trouts

... regular pointy thing - 14 trouts

Started with the straight pin version. First spot was on fire while it lasted - five fish on the fly is less than five minutes. Felt every one tug the fly. Two of them held on and took the fly 2-3' deep before giving it up.

Second spot, still with the straight pin, was almost as fast and furious. Nine trout on the fly - several were splashy takes that didn't really give much of a tug, several gave it pretty good tugs, one or two took it deep, and Number 14 held it long and hard enough to break off the 5X tippet.

After the break off, I went to the "pointless" fly. Had three more on in the second spot, and for sure thought I was finally going to land one. Didn't happen. He came unbuttoned after a valiant struggle ( on his part ).

Third spot, I stayed with the "pointless" fly. Had three cutts come up from way down in some very soft, deep water and hit the fly, all three tugging it pretty good.

After the three good tugs, I went with the regular pointy thing. Hooked up a couple nice fishies in the third spot, and then went back to the second spot and hooked up several more, and landed all of them.

Headed on down to spot four, which I didn't think would be fishable from the bank. Wrong. The water has dropped enough that - eight fish ate the pointy thing and stayed with it all the way to manual release.

Stopped at spot five on the way home. No way a fish will come up through that water. Wrong. One did come up and hooked up, but took a long distance bye-bye after a brief struggle.

Ran into an acquaintance near the end of the outing. Offered him my last used pointy thing, and a couple "pointless" versions. He opted for the pointy thing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    ...I wonder if there would be an advantage to cutting the whole bend of the hook off...at the beginning of the bend...maybe the fly would not float properly?
    Duck -

I kind of wondered if the "straight pin" version would float properly, thinking maybe the hook bend might serve as a "keel".

After yesterday's experiment with it, I can say with confidence that it makes no difference at all for the FEB Salmonfly. It may make a difference on other fly designs, but the only way to be sure is to try it.

John

P.S. There were a few times when the fly did land and stay top side down, but that was pretty rare, easy to remedy, and did not affect the overall performance of the fly.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 05-06-2012 at 03:11 PM.

I did a little of this sort of fishing yesterday myself
    4 fish in a row were brought in then released themselves with out me touching them or the fly.
    I figured I was just lucky that way until I saw that my fly had no point

Years ago there were fly hooks you could buy called T.A.G hooks (touch and go)
    Not only did they have a ring at the leader end, but also had a ring where the point would be.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread