I came across this review on the Orvis site:

http://reviews.orvis.com/7532/9444s/reviews.htm

The part I found interesting is this:

"I got this rod mainly so I could throw larger top water flies at big bass. This rod does that so well because I can upline it with 8 wt. Bass Wonderline on an extra spool for my black Battenkill Mid Arbor IV reel, that's something you can't do with any fresh water 6 wt. I do use 6 wt. line when fishing for bass but if you want to throw the big poppers, you need a bigger line and this rod throws them far and accurately."

My BVK 6wt with a SA bass bug wf7f and I struggle throwing the big size 2 and 4 wind resistant Walt's poppers, and I was considering adding a BVK 7 or 8 wt to my ever growing collection. When I saw this, I thought, why not give it a try?

So I loaded up my BVK 6wt with an Orvis wf8f bass wonderline that I got off fleabay last fall, tied on a big popper with the hook cut off, and went to the back yard to entertain the neighbors. Much to my surprise, this worked great. I guess it is the line that throws the bug, as long as the rod can accommodate the line. Now, I realize yard casting and river casting is not the same, but it looks like I may have saved $250 on a new BVK....

Anyone else surprised by this? Has anyone had a positive or negative experience with over-lining by 2 weights?