+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kant of a Mayfly's Wing at rest

Blog Entries

Default Kant of a Mayfly's Wing at rest

Sorry, meant the "cant" or direction of a mayfly wing.

Anyway, I know a lot of posts I post bring a lot of strong disagreement, but I am "coming out of the closet" on this issue.

I just received my "Fly Tying" catalog today from Orvis. On the cover is a beautiful photo of a PMD at rest on a weed. Anyway, the wing is "canted" at as much as 30-45 degrees to the rear.

I have always wondered why so many dry fly patterns have completely upright wings! I have never witnessed a mayfly on the water with straight upright wings.

Now, this pic of a fly of mine is not my best fly or anything, but only selected as it was the first I came across with a canted wing which I believe is most like the actual insect: Just close your eyes and picture one you have tied that looks a lot better.

Or one like this one I tied for the same reason:

Now, compare that vision in your mind to the real thing below:

Now, I am going back in my closet to avoid all of the disagreements that are sure to come!!!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.

No argument here.

John
    The fish are always right.

The angle of the mayfly wing appears to be relative to the flat surface on which they are sitting and is a result of the thorax being elevated by the legs. If the body is flat in the film with the legs penetrating the surface the wing will seem to be much more upright
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

These are BWO spinners actually on the water - in a little backwater about half a mile below the Chester Dam on the Henry's Fork.

I don't know if they would be able to maintain the same position on moving water, but it seems likely to me.

John

AlanB Guest

No disagreement here but an observation.

I have only come across one reference to a time imitation of the wing has made any significant difference to the effectiveness of a fly. It was in an article by Dr Malcolm Greenhalgh in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying. He was fishing the river Lune in Lancashire late in the evening, with strong low sunlight. Patterns with wings were taken, those without were ignored (given all other considerations were the same). Malcolm believed that part of the "key" the trout had locked on to was the shadow of the wing on the natural.

Ever since I started tying I have been told that the wing is more for the benefit of the angler, making the fly easier to see, than the fish. Malcolm's experience seems to bear this out.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Although, if you read any of the books that address what a trout sees out of its window - they all agree - the wings without a body attached is first. Then the body, and when they get close, the wings and body finally joined.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-03-2012 at 05:34 AM.

If I remember correctly, Theodore Gordon used a single wing of wood duck that was canted back.

A.K. Best ties in his wings with the the butts facing the eye, arguing, that over time, the wings will cant back. And of course, the Harrop Elk Hair Dun has the wing canted back.

My guess would be that it's just easier for a guy who may have to tie 10 dozen flies a day to tie in wings tip forward.
    Last edited by Steven; 05-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.

The great 18th century fishing guide and fly tier Immanuel Kant, in his Critique of Pure Mayfly Design, agrees:

"Tie in such a way that the design of your will could always hold at the same time as a principle of fish behavior and fish perception."

Arrow On the other hand ...

... trico wings do seem to be pretty much upright. A couple duns on the Missouri last September.

And a spinner, same time and place - in the cab of the truck.

Given the shape of the trico's body, particularly the abdomen, it seems likely that the wings are virtually vertical when the fly is on the water.

John

I have always wondered why more patterns don't have the wings on a slant. Then I read the late JC's article here about the foot print insects leave on the water while resting on the surface. If I am not mistaken his conclusion was that the fish has already committed or turned from a fly based on the foot print even before the wing comes into their window of vision. I have since only added wings when I want a fly that looks good to me. Interesting though when you read Swishers and Richards they advocated hackless flies. Whatever gets er done.

+ Reply to Thread