+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anvil Apex Vise

Hybrid View

Default Anvil Apex Vise

Does anyone out there use and or have an opinion on the Anvil Apex vise? I'm in need of a second vise and they look pretty solid. What has been your experience?

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Rock solid. Built like a tank. Holds everything I've thrown at it. Great value for the price point. No true rotary function (if that even matters to you). I've got two and might consider selling one if I pick up a new vise. (See my post in this forum titled: Regal Vise Cons)

Here's a link with some good info on the Apex: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise Revi..._apex_vise.htm

I've had mine for about 5 years now, and have been very happy with it. Holds all sizes of hooks solidly. Only reason I would get something new would be for a true rotary ability, but I'm in no real hurry.
    CJ

I just need , or maybe just want an extra more stationary vise. I have my Peak rotary vise that I really like but being built like a tank its not very travel friendly. Thanks for the feed back guys.

I had one also, well built and great warrantee, only cons was no jaw adaptability if you
    wanted to go really big or really small. But overall for the price you cant beat it if
    You stay 3/0-20 Says it holds down to 32 but i dont tie that small. 7/0 salmon maybe but
    it struggled with some heavy wire hooks 3/0 - 4/0 range. Again for the price its a winner.

Just an update , I got the Anvil vise in today. I haven't put it through the pace's yet but first impression's are good. Seem's solid , well built with smooth operation. I can see why the small fly tier's like it. The jaw's seem like they were built for midge pattern's and are half the size of my Peak vise jaw's. The only real issue I see so far is the base. The collar that the stem fit's into to attach to the base is very loose and over sized. But I bought it to primarily use with the c-clamp which fits very well. Since the stem is a standard size I guess I could just buy a different base later if it bug's me to much.

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Congratulations on the vise. I'm not sure what you mean by, "The collar that the stem fit's into to attach to the base is very loose and over sized." But mine has a "locking nut" to tighten the collar to the base, and a wing-nut to secure the "stem" into the "collar". So I can make everything as tight or as loose as I want. (not sure why I'd ever want either of them loose though) I assume yours is the same, so I doubt you'll have any "issues" using the base if you decide to go that way. I on the other hand have never used the C-Clamp, but the "collar" hole on it (again with a wing-nut for securing the stem) appears to be the same diameter as the one in the base. So if one bothers you, the other likely will as well. (Though I don't see why either would be an issue.)

---David

+ Reply to Thread