+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regal Vise Cons

Hybrid View

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Default Regal Vise Cons

I've been contemplating getting a new vise (nothing wrong with what I have, just thinking of getting a new toy) and have been drawn to the Regals.

I'd appreciate those of you with experience tying on one offering up the things you don't like about them. And if you happen to use the midge or stainless steel jaws, so much the better, as that is likely where I'd end up if I decide to pick one up.

Thanks!

---David

One main issue I had with my Regal was making sure the hook was seated properly, especially with smaller hooks. If I didn't have it in there right, it would fly out of the jaws with a lot of force and little guidance; never took one in the eye and I found most of the hooks that ejected. Besides that, the Regal was a rock; great vise for deer hair bass bugs where you may want to lean on the thread a bit, and big saltwater flies. I've switched to a Renzetti Traveller and like the rotary feature, although I use it mostly for inspection of the far side of the hook; don't think newer Regals are true rotary although they do rotate. Mine just had the standard jaws so you'll have to look to others for their jaw advise.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    One main issue I had with my Regal was making sure the hook was seated properly, especially with smaller hooks. If I didn't have it in there right, it would fly out of the jaws with a lot of force and little guidance

Regards,
    Scott
    +1 on the above. I had a Regal and sold it for that reason. The jaws would also chip if the hooks were not seated correctly. I have not heard of that recently though.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have a Regal, but have not used it for a while, I have mostly switched to a Renzetti Traveler. A few years ago when I did use the Regal a lot, I found that my hand got sore from squeezing the lever to open the jaws. I was tying literally hundreds of flies for a trip to Alaska, so I was using it more than most would, but I did find that this was an issue that I don't get with a conventional vise design.

Ted

Hi David - I own two Regals. One with the standard jaws (chipped), and one with the stainless jaws.

The stainless jaw Medallion is sooooooo much nicer to work with! I've never heard of anyone chipping the jaws on a stainless Regal, and to get around that problem, I just put the hook into the jaws deeper, and then move the hook to where I want it to be. The stainless jaws offer great access to the back of even the tiniest of hooks.

The folks at Regal have offered to refinish my chipped jaws for $40 - nice folks to deal with. If you can swing it, I'd recommend the stainless jaws. They only recommend hooks up to a size 2 for those jaws though.

I still prefer my Renzetti overall, and since I use that for most of my tying, I'm not concerned about using the Regal for true rotary tying. It rotates, but trying to use it for rotary tying is awkward at best. The pocket pedestal is really nice for holding hooks, beads, etc.

H.A.

Have a Regal WITH midge jaws and a Renzetti Traveler(older model with screw tightener). Much prefer the Regal. Easy to use, no adjustments needed, holds hook like a rock (not so the Renzetti), easy to inspect far side, and it's easy to 'seat' hooks once you understand how and besides, the jaw of a Renzetti will chip too if not used properly. If you're looking for true rotary then the Regal is not what you're after. If you don't need that feature then hands down it's a Regal. Oh, the midge head will hold hook sizes std. 8 down to 32. No experience with SS model.

Allan

Personally, I really like my Regal, especially the with the brass pocket pedestal. I own a Dyna-King and Renzetti as well, and have tied on most of the vises on the market, from the cheap to the expensive, but the simplicity of loading a hook in the Regal keeps bringing me back. Yes, you can spit hooks, and yes, you can chip the jaws, but you can do that with any vise if you are not careful (e.g. I've done it with my Renzetti). Manufacturer will replace the jaws for a nominal fee, so I don't really see a problem. No experience with the midge jaws, although they do not really seem small enough to make much of a difference over the regular jaws. Have not tried the stainless jaws, but have heard many positive comments about them. I like Regal for flies #20-2/0, so if that is similiar to your range, you should be happy with you choice. Luck.

+ Reply to Thread