+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Regal Vise Cons

I have a Renzetti Traveler and an Peak. I feel more comfortable with the Peak for larger flies.
    Otherwise the Renzetti to my choice.
    A seldom mentioned problem with the Regal is that if you are left handed the jaw clamping lever is in a very bad spot.
    You end up having to work it with the heel of your hand instead of your fingers. And if you rotate the jaw assembly to use your fingers in another bad spot the material clip is underneath the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz
    A seldom mentioned problem with the Regal is that if you are left handed the jaw clamping lever is in a very bad spot.
    It might be seldom mentioned because it's not a problem. The vise ships right-handed but is convertible to left-hand tying with a hex wrench.

I'll give you a con for Regal. Although I have one, and it is an excellent vise, the jaws chip very easily if the hook is not inserted properly. This is more prone to occur when trying to use small hooks. Sure, I know, everyone says just put them in correctly and that won't happen. I agree. When you're tying hundreds of flies it will inevitably happen. When I sent the jaws back for a replacement I received a rude letter back explaining how it was my fault. It was my fault, but in my opinion, if you're going to make a product using a spring with that much pressure, maybe you should make a jaw that won't chip. I guess the stainless steel vise has corrected that problem. I use a Renzetti Traveller and I have no complaints. There's my con.

I bought mine when they first came out and tied everything from a 4/0 to a 26 with the standard jaws---I fealt like i needed a rotary so i bought a Dyna-King and sold it within a month---a couple years ago i tilted the head back to take a picture of the fly and it spit the first hook ever but it did chip the carbon steel jaws. I replaced the jaws and im still tying on it.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    [SNIP] I use a Renzetti Traveller and I have no complaints.[SNIP]
    And if you manage to chip the jaws on your Renzetti, which I assure from experience is possible, you will like the answer from Renzetti even less than from Regal. Replacement Traveler jaws run $75, a stark contrast to the perfectly reasonable $40 Regal charges.

Well, I haven't chipped my Renzetti so far and I've had it for close to 10 years. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. I'd like to try one of those HMH vises, too.

+ Reply to Thread