+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regal Vise Cons

i have a Regal and have had it for years, used it for production tying, with standard jaws down to #26 . considering the stainless jaws , so i can do smaller work. Had a Renzetti till their customer service mad me mad, bought the Regal after i got off off the phone and never looked back.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

The "Reach" of the standard Regal makes it next to impossible to use a standard attachment, bobbin holder, gallows, etc. They do have a model with and offset stem that should take care of the problem. Other than that I like my regal.

I have had a Standard Regal for many years and like it. When teaching beginner's fly tying classes, the Regal saves a lot of time because no one has to wait for someone to get the jaws adjusted right. Just squeeze, insert hook and release. I have never had it spit a hook.

I agree with Jack on the "reach" of the standard Regal. I noticed that Regal now has a Traveler Regal and I really liked the off-set of the stem which I feel will take care of the "reach" problem. I contacted Regal and asked them if I could just purchase the Traveler stem and they said yes. Needless to say, it should arrive sometime this week.

The material spring is not the greatest, but, overall, the Regal is a quality vise that I would recommend to anyone.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have a Regal with the stainless jaws, and I love it. I tie from size 6 streamers down to size 32 midges with no problem of holding the hook. I have tied with many other vises over the years, and this is the best I have used. It was recommended to me by a commercial tyer who has used just about every vise.

I have had two over the years. Both with c clamps. Rock solid
    Jaws for what i was tying. Sold one and traded the other. Never any trouble
    with mine. Only reason i sold mine was i wanted true rotary. I have yet to
    try the new configuration but i have seen it in action. Looked well built. I made
    My own bobbin cradle which was extended and swung out of the way. I dont do
    parachute styles so no need for gallows here.

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Thanks everyone for the insight/opinions. It's very much appreciated.

---David

I own three regals. I started tying on the fixed head Inex. Then moved up to the Medalion with standard jaws. I easily tied flies down to #22 and even dipped lower, but was always very careful when doing so. I have had my eyes on the Stainless Steel Jaw version for quite some time, and just a couple weeks ago sprung for one. Unbelievable. I can't say enough good things about the SS version. I have had no problems with any of my Regals, and I do a bit of commercial tying and tie a decent number of flies every year.

I have tried out many other vises just to see if the grass is greener and I have never found anything I enjoy tying on better than a regal.

The hook spitting issue is overrated in my view. I have had one hook spit out on me in all my time using Regals, and it was totally my fault and would have happened no mater what vise I was using.

After tying on vises by Renzetti, Dyna-King and HMH, I've been tying on a Regal Medallion with the stainless jaws exclusively for the past four years now. I really can't say enough about the vise. I absolutely love it and have had zero problems with it. I tie in sizes ranging from #24 down to #8 with the majority being in the #16 though #20 range. Hook access isn't an issue. I've heard of the "shooting hook" problem but have never experienced it myself. The only real "con" that I've discovered is that on occasion, the material clip gets in the way, particularly when tying the wing post on parachute style dry flies, but this issue is easily remedied by simply removing the spring when tying those style of flies. I'd estimate that over the past four years this vise has seen approximately 4,000 flies (1,000/year) pass through it. It still looks just about the same as it did the day it came in the mail with the exception of some wearing of the black finish where my left hand rests on it. I've never tied on a Regal without the stainless jaws, so I really can't comment on those.

If you're looking for an exceptional well engineered vise to tie typical sized trout flies on and don't need true-rotary capabilities, I would highly recommend the Regal with the stainless jaws.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I've also been tying on a Regal for several years now and would not consider replacing it with any other vise. I've also heard stories about hooks shooting out of the jaws but like some others, I've tied alot on mine and never had that happen.
    One thing that I like about the Regal so well it the flat surface on top of the head. I tie right-handed and while tying the flat spot on the top of the head is the perfect place for my left hand to rest steady while holding materials, etc. I have the Midge jaws and have tied from size 10 up to 26 on mine with zero problems.
    Mark 1:17

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Thumbs up Nothing but good (for the most part)

It appears it's pretty hard to get a con from you folks. So either the vise is that good, or you are all just eternal optimists.

Thanks again everyone.

---David

+ Reply to Thread