+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestions For New Combo

Default Need Suggestions For New Combo

Hey

I am looking to buy a nice new combo that will be used mainly for panfish. I am think something 3wt atleast 8'. Any suggestions? I would like the rod to be one with a lifetime replacement warranty also. I don't wanna break the bank, but I don't mind spending a little money either. I mainly fish baitcasters, so I am not familiar with all the fly fishing rods/reels. I'm just wanting to upgrade from my Walmart Shakespeare combo. Might as well suggest a fly line also.

Thanks

While it's not 8'. I love my TFO Signature-2 3wt paired with SA GPX.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

stumpy, a suggestion would be to check out the house brand rods/reels at Bass Pro and Cabela's. Another good quality rod is the ones by Temple Fork Outfitters and these can be found at BP, I know, that's where I've gotten two of mine. The 3wt. is an excellant choise, lots of action and fun with out being too light in case of a bass. Get yourself a good rod/reel combo andf enjoy catching 'gills, take care. Just keep on keeping on, John.

I have the 8'6" TFO Signature in 3wt. these are great rods for what you want. i use mimne for panfish and trout. broke it once and sent it in with $20 and got a new one in less than 2 weeks. no questions asked. you can find these used for under $100.

Another recommendation for TFO - but the BVK. And not so much for a 3 wt, but for a 9' for 5 wt lined with a Rio Selective Trout II ( or equivalent ) WF4F.

As fast as the BVK is supposed to be, the 5 wt handles the 4 wt line ( which is a small step up from a 3 wt ) beautifully. With the fast rod and heavier line ( 4 wt ) you'll be able to cast larger flies easily and have a lot more flexibility if you decide to fish for bigger fishies, in bigger breezes, on bigger water. And you can line up to a 5 wt line for some real "medium duty" work.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

I don't quite follow what you are saying. you propose he buys a fast 5wt rod and under-line it with a 4wt line, is that correct? how will that be better for bluegill or even be easier to cast.

Arrow Sounds kind of weird, doesn't it ??

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye View Post
    John,

I don't quite follow what you are saying. you propose he buys a fast 5wt rod and under-line it with a 4wt line, is that correct? how will that be better for bluegill or even be easier to cast.
    A couple weeks ago, I decided to try a Rio Selective Trout II WF4F on my 9' for 5 wt BVK. I thought it would be a difficult set up to cast because the BVK is supposed to be fast. I'm casting FEB skwalas that are about a "size 6" and FEB salmonflies that are about a "size 2" off a thread furled leader and 3-4' of 4X tippet - and the rod is a cannon with great accuracy lined and rigged that way, and the casting is effortless. ( I think the thing is, the BVK has a lot of "feel", and that is why this particular rod will handle the 4 wt line the way it does. )

It was a real surprise to me - a very delightful surprise, since I like fast rods, and the BVK in particular, for this kind of fishing and I had a couple WF4F lines that weren't getting a lot of use. They are now.

Now I don't have the opportunity to fish for bluegill and bass and other warm water fishies in this neck of the woods, at least not on the scale that it makes sense for me to learn what I would need to know to successfully chase them. But there is so little difference between a 3 wt line and a 4 wt line, that the set up I've been using seems like it would work well for bluegill and bass and other warm water fishies, and would be more flexible than a 3 wt rod in that fishing bigger water, bigger wind, and bigger flies for bigger fishies is one line weight ( 5 ) away.

Maybe I'm all wet. That's okay. And maybe not.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

John, I don't think you're all wet. I think you are an above average caster. I have a 9' BVK 5-weight from TFO. For me, and some others with whom I have spoken, it casts far better with 6-weight line. I'm planning to use that rod with Bass Pro's cheapest, large arbor reel loaded with 6-weight line tomorrow in pursuit of 'gills, shellcrackers, red-eye, and the odd rainbow.

The Scientific Angler combos at Wal-Mart are also good. I would recommend the 4-piece, 6-weight outfit. It comes with the line reel already spooled up and with the leader attached. I don't know about the warranty.

I have a copy of low-end rods from Bass Pro and they are fully adequate. So are their economy reels in the context of catching panfish. I don't know how well they would handle stripers or steelhead. Again, I doubt they have a lifetime warranty.

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

It isn't a lifetime warranty and is a bit shorter, but my favorite bluegill rod right now is a Cabela's 3 forks combo. You can get a combo with fly line for $70-75. I have some rods that cost more than that combo did. The rod is a 7'6" 3 wt 3 piece. The combo has a LOT of bang for your buck. I like it better than my Dan Craft Sig V 4 wt, or my RX8 Batson 2 weight when I'm after bluegills. It casts nice, and the line in the combo isn't too bad either. I know several who have bought this combo and been very pleasantly surprised with the quality.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

It's not 8'....but the New Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt would get my vote. 25yr unconditional warranty, and they really do cast nice.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread