Just a comment on the LL Bean "warranty". Their policy has always been if an item isn't satisfactory to you then you can send it back no questions asked. That statement is their warranty no more no less. Many years ago I bought a pair of their top of the line Gore-Tex hiking boots. I wore them day in day out for 2 years and noticed that they had started leaking anytime I stepped in a puddle. I contacted them and relayed my experience with their boots, but I also asked a reasonable question, "after 2 years of near everyday wear is this normal". The basic thrust of the question of course was; had I worn them out? The customer service rep placed me on hold and a few minutes later came on with one of their footwear products people. I relayed my story again and received a simple answer, "No, that shouldn't be happening after 2 years of everyday wear; send them back"; which I did.

Now all that being said, the following is true. Had they told me the boots were worn out and that was expected after 2 years of daily use I would have accepted it and bought another pair no question. However, I could have just as easily returned them (never having asked for an opinion) feeling that a couple hundred dollar pair of boots shouldn't wear out in 2 years regardless of use. Several converstations I've had with LL Bean customer service people essentially point to it being your decision as to what "satisfied" means. If your opinion is that a $79 pair of waders should survive a 5 mile hike through a briar patch unscathed then LL Bean isn't going to question you. Are there people that are going to use their policy to their benefit; of course! Is every customer they have going to do this; nope!

So in essence, LL Bean doesn't a "lifetime warranty", they have a "lifetime satisfaction guarantee" and you decide what that means to you, no more no less.

Brian