+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Waders

So let's see her. A multi million corporation puts let's say incomplete information on their web site( which in todays world would leave them open for legal action, not to mention what it would cost them pr wise). There's nothing anywhere else on their website or in their catalog which contradicts it in the slightest. But a telephone operator says differently so it must be gospel. Yeah right

LL Bean is simply making two bets. One is that they will make more sales and profits if they offer this guarantee. The other is that the vast majority of their customers will do the right and honorable thing when it comes to invoking that guarantee.

I've been a single practitioner consultant for 13 years, mostly serving privately held businesses. I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on my work. It helps me convince new clients to hire me. I have yet to have a single client invoke my guarantee. But, if one ever does, I'll stand behind it even if I think they are being unfair. I value my professional reputation far more than whatever that might cost me. If one abuses my guarantee twice, I'll still honor it --but I won't accept a third project from them.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by jmccall View Post
    a telephone operator says differently so it must be gospel. Yeah right
    yeah, and I read it on the internet so it must be true.

I read it in stripersonline so it must be true.

I saw it on TV so it must be true.

I heard it on the radio so it must be true.

I know a guy who said he did it so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    LL Bean is simply making two bets. One is that they will make more sales and profits if they offer this guarantee. The other is that the vast majority of their customers will do the right and honorable thing when it comes to invoking that guarantee.
    Exactly correct, and in essence exactly what the customer service rep explained in different words.

There will be a certain amount of d-bags who will walk half a mile through blackberry bushes and barbed wire fences and then bitch that their waders leak, send them back, and demand "satisfaction". Bean will probably cringe and just suck it up to preserve image.

It's not ethical, moral, or honorable, but these days those words mean very little to average people.

It also is a testament to the overall change in the LL Bean company image which is moving away from hard-use true outdoor gear to boutique fashion and fuzzy slippers.

Although I am still very disappointed in Cabela's for dropping their everyday in-store 10% discount to active and retired military members (which Bass Pro and Gander still honor) Cabela's doesn't put their name on anything unless it is good quality for the price, and they are up-front about their wader warranty. In their words, they stand behind their products 100% but "Fair is fair."
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 05-03-2012 at 11:51 PM.

been there done this....lifetime warranty...the lady said " if your waders leak and you are not happy with them, then WE are not happy" new waders showed up in 4 days.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

"It's not ethical, moral, or honorable, but these days those words mean very little to average people."

Call me Pollyanna, but I continue to believe that those words still mean a lot to average people, at least to the average people who buy from LL Bean. I think their odds are pretty good as long as they keep selling primarily to people who buy outdoor gear. If they shift to selling $300 sneakers and gold plated bling, I suspect their odds will drop.

jszyczyk, cabelas may have gotten rid of the everyday 10% discount, but they still have "heroes" day twice a year. all active and retired military, fire and police personnel receive cabela's employee discount which is significantly better than 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    Exactly correct, and in essence exactly what the customer service rep explained in different words.

There will be a certain amount of d-bags who will walk half a mile through blackberry bushes and barbed wire fences and then bitch that their waders leak, send them back, and demand "satisfaction". Bean will probably cringe and just suck it up to preserve image.

It's not ethical, moral, or honorable, but these days those words mean very little to average people.

It also is a testament to the overall change in the LL Bean company image which is moving away from hard-use true outdoor gear to boutique fashion and fuzzy slippers.

Although I am still very disappointed in Cabela's for dropping their everyday in-store 10% discount to active and retired military members (which Bass Pro and Gander still honor) Cabela's doesn't put their name on anything unless it is good quality for the price, and they are up-front about their wader warranty. In their words, they stand behind their products 100% but "Fair is fair."

Just a comment on the LL Bean "warranty". Their policy has always been if an item isn't satisfactory to you then you can send it back no questions asked. That statement is their warranty no more no less. Many years ago I bought a pair of their top of the line Gore-Tex hiking boots. I wore them day in day out for 2 years and noticed that they had started leaking anytime I stepped in a puddle. I contacted them and relayed my experience with their boots, but I also asked a reasonable question, "after 2 years of near everyday wear is this normal". The basic thrust of the question of course was; had I worn them out? The customer service rep placed me on hold and a few minutes later came on with one of their footwear products people. I relayed my story again and received a simple answer, "No, that shouldn't be happening after 2 years of everyday wear; send them back"; which I did.

Now all that being said, the following is true. Had they told me the boots were worn out and that was expected after 2 years of daily use I would have accepted it and bought another pair no question. However, I could have just as easily returned them (never having asked for an opinion) feeling that a couple hundred dollar pair of boots shouldn't wear out in 2 years regardless of use. Several converstations I've had with LL Bean customer service people essentially point to it being your decision as to what "satisfied" means. If your opinion is that a $79 pair of waders should survive a 5 mile hike through a briar patch unscathed then LL Bean isn't going to question you. Are there people that are going to use their policy to their benefit; of course! Is every customer they have going to do this; nope!

So in essence, LL Bean doesn't a "lifetime warranty", they have a "lifetime satisfaction guarantee" and you decide what that means to you, no more no less.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

rvwader;
    I must say that I've never seen a thread hi jacked with such inane B.S.!! Just more proof that Lefty is right!

It's a good thing that you plan to try on the waders before buying. Just remember that you should be able to step on the seat of a kitchen chair to assure that you have plenty of room. I did not do this and blew the seams out of a pair of Simms.

I'm glad I saw this thread
    I plan on buying a pair of these Cabelas RVG waders today! and there was so much useful information (no one even mentioned them)
    I have a pair of the dry-plus boot foots (5years old) and love them so I guess I'll have to buy just based on that.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread