+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Circle Hooks

Default Circle Hooks

Since I fish flies with heavier and thicker hooks it is not always easy to get a good hook set. The flexibility of a tenkara rod does not really help getting a good hook set. I was thinking of a way to get a good hook set and circle hooks came to mind. Since there is no need to set the hook when using circle hooks, you just apply pressure, there should be less losing fish due to a poor hook set. What does every one think of the this Idea?

I associate circle hooks with bait fishing. Are they successfully used for flies as well?

I have used circle hooks on several patterns and the real problem comes in unhooking the fish. For this reason I debarb the hooks.

I would not use circle hooks on flies. Circle hooks work with bait because the fish swallow the bait, and the hook catches their jaw as it is pulled back out of their throat. Flies are spit out almost immediately, so you will almost never get the same line angle that is necessary for a circle hook to catch in the scissors of the jaw.

After having watched several underwater videos of fish taking and spitting out hooks, and watching bluegills do that live, I would not be surprised if many of our catches come when the fish tries to spit out the hook but the hook "catches" on the way out so they can't eject it. That would never happen with a circle hook.

To solve your problem, the answer may to to go to a different hook, but I would argue it should be a lighter, finer wire hook rather than a circle hook. You may need to go to a smaller fly. You may also need to go to a stiffer rod.
    Tenkara Bum

I tried circle hooks on some of my bass flies and felt that I didn't get a very good hook-up ration. I switched back to traditional hooks.

Jim Smith

I have had very high hook and land ratios on bass with Mustad VC71SNP-SS (old ref. C71SSS) . I used the freshwater version of this hook of this hook that is no longer available. This hook works well for flies because it has a longer shank. I don't remember the exact percentages But I do remember it improved my landing hook to ratio by about 17%. The trick is that you have to strip set the hook like most anglers do in saltwater anglers do. By the way I did not hook any of the fish deep. Most were caught in the corner of the jaw.
    That said I don't think it is the best hook for Tenkara because you don't strip with Tenkara

+ Reply to Thread